Cake sale

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one is telling anyone what to eat and not eat or how to raise funds. It is stating facts.

But specifically this is a Drs surgery inviting 90% patients that are carb challenged to come and indulge in non nutritional carbs, and I’m sure you can see the difference between this and another venue with a different demographic of invitees.

Can you seriously not see the message it is sending to these particular people - eat sugary junk food with our blessing and disregard the effects it has - and the educational message it fails to send.

It doesn't say that either. The extent of the OP's contribution to this thread is here:

upload_2022-5-24_12-57-30.png

Yes, I agree it states all diabetics are being invited, but what percentage of the surgery population does that represent. Even it is were 90%, it is surely up to the individual to decide what they will eat, or in this case buy; whether for themselves or someone else.

At said cake sales at my GP surgery, the PPG Chair's wife is an excellent baker. I buy her cream, Victoria sponges for my OH. I just don't get the same fluff-factor.

My OH isn't living with T2, is 75, still wearing 32" waist jeans, and with a natural A1c in the low 30's eating whatever takes his fancy. He does have a very good "off, enough button", so why would I try to limit what he might care to enjoy.

Looking at what folks on here eat and drink, there is a great diversity, even amongst T2s. I am strictly gluten-free, so baked goods aren't in my life. I chose not to seek alternatives to glutenous flours when I can get along happily without, but others I have observed having the odd cake, say, on holiday, or sharing a desert with dining companions. Those are their choices, and I respect them, even if they don't always align with my own.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't want to be excluded from anything because I have a diagnosis of diabetes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't say that either. The extent of the OP's contribution to this thread is here:

View attachment 54659

Yes, I agree it states all diabetics are being invited, but what percentage of the surgery population does that represent. Even it is were 90%, it is surely up to the individual to decide what they will eat, or in this case buy; whether for themselves or someone else.

At said cake sales at my GP surgery, the PPG Chair's wife is an excellent baker. I buy her cream, Victoria sponges for my OH. I just don't get the same fluff-factor.

My OH isn't living with T2, is 75, still wearing 32" waist jeans, and with a natural A1c in the low 30's eating whatever takes his fancy. He does have a very good "off, enough button", so why would I try to limit what he might care to enjoy.

Looking at what folks on here eat and drink, there is a great diversity, even amongst T2s. I am strictly gluten-free, so baked goods aren't in my life. I chose not to seek alternatives to glutenous flours when I can get along happily without, but others I have observed having the odd cake, say, on holiday, or sharing a desert with dining companions. Those are their choices, and I respect them, even if they don't always align with my own.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't want to be excluded from anything because I have a diagnosis of diabetes.
Missing or misunderstanding my post entirely. My comment had little to do with what the op said, more the thread as an entirely. Also the 90% refers to the 90% of diabetics that are type 2, not 90% of the entire practices patients.

Again, It’s also not about limiting what anyone ( diabetic or not, in any location) can buy or eat elsewhere. It’s about the message that a drs surgery selling cakes to diabetics sends. Different argument entirely.

How would you feel about them selling cigarettes to an asthma clinics patients? Or wine to an AA recovery group? Extreme examples perhaps but I’m trying to make to the point you seem to be missing and it’s still the the same principle

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missing or misunderstanding my post entirely. My comment had little to do with what the op said, more the thread as an entirely. Also the 90% refers to the 90% of diabetics that are type 2, not 90% of the entire practices patients.

Again, It’s also not about limiting what anyone ( diabetic or not, in any location) can buy or eat elsewhere. It’s about the message that a drs surgery selling cakes to diabetics sends. Different argument entirely.

How would you feel about them selling cigarettes to an asthma clinics patients? Or wine to an AA recovery group? Extreme examples perhaps but I’m trying to make to the point you seem to be missing and it’s still the the same principle

We don't even know the context of the sale. For example, the MacMillan events at our surgery often take place during flu vaccine clinics. This could be for Covid booster clinics, although I have zero basis for that remark, other than what's going on in the world. In your examples: of course that would be potty, but that's a BIG leap to make from the words posted by the OP. We have no idea about any other attendees to this clinic.

Our surgery is still locked up like Fort Knox, with pretty silly protocols in place for entry. Anything that helps folks understand their surgery is open for business again is not a bad idea.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't even know the context of the sale. For example, the MacMillan events at our surgery often take place during flu vaccine clinics. This could be for Covid booster clinics, although I have zero basis for that remark, other than what's going on in the world. In your examples: of course that would be potty, but that's a BIG leap to make from the words posted by the OP. We have no idea about any other attendees to this clinic.

Our surgery is still locked up like Fort Knox, with pretty silly protocols in place for entry. Anything that helps folks understand their surgery is open for business again is not a bad idea.
Are you deliberately missing my point and arguing for fun now? The post said diabetes patients invited to a cake sale. And that is what we are trying to discuss. It doesn’t matter what the context was. It doesn’t matter if it was flu or covid or belly fluff clinics. (Unlikely though as it says diabetic patients invited not just patients). And the leap really isn’t so big. All would be inviting and encouraging the patients to do something known to make their condition worse by the very people that are supposed to help improve their wellbeing. And if a patient can be told about a cake sale they can be told the place is open for business the same way without the gratuitous carbs. I think I’ve made my point very clear and rebutted your defence of cakes as much as I feel able.

Reactions: Mike d and zand

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you deliberately missing my point and arguing for fun now? The post said diabetes patients invited to a cake sale. And that is what we are trying to discuss. It doesn’t matter what the context was. It doesn’t matter if it was flu or covid or belly fluff clinics. (Unlikely though as it says diabetic patients invited not just patients). And the leap really isn’t so big. All would be inviting and encouraging the patients to do something known to make their condition worse by the very people that are supposed to help improve their wellbeing. And if a patient can be told about a cake sale they can be told the place is open for business the same way without the gratuitous carbs. I think I’ve made my point very clear and rebutted your defence of cakes as much as I feel able.

I am not missing your point, nor am I picking an argument.. I am simply making different points.

In my view, you are making many assumptions, based on posts with virtually no context. I prefer not to do that. We detest it when HCPs (and others) make assumptions relating to us, so I try very hard not to do that.

That our views differ makes neither right nor wrong in the context of this vague original post.

I'm not saying in the context of my health (I won't speak for the masses) that cakes are a brilliant idea, but I do know they draw more crowds, in terms of fundraising, than other potential topics.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not missing your point, nor am I picking an argument.. I am simply making different points.

In my view, you are making many assumptions, based on posts with virtually no context. I prefer not to do that. We detest it when HCPs (and others) make assumptions relating to us, so I try very hard not to do that.

That our views differ makes neither right nor wrong in the context of this vague original post.

I'm not saying in the context of my health (I won't speak for the masses) that cakes are a brilliant idea, but I do know they draw more crowds, in terms of fundraising, than other potential topics.
Please stop trying to twist what I say. I get that you have a different view, to which you are entitled, but mine is not based on the perceived lack of context. I am not making assumptions. I am responding to what was posted. None of the suggestions you make (which patients/what cause etc), nor any I can think of make it acceptable to me and have no bearing on my opinion. Cakes should not be sold as social event/fundraiser etc to diabetic patients by drs. End of. If people want to indulge it doesn’t stop them doing so elsewhere without the massively damaging and contradictory message being sent by health care professionals.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? It's OK to sell unhealthy foods at a doctors surgery to raise funds? I've heard it all now!

Back in the 80s we all knew that cakes weren't a great food choice, I can't see what has changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.... Cakes should not be sold as social event/fundraiser etc to diabetic patients by drs. End of. If people want to indulge it doesn’t stop them doing so elsewhere without the massively damaging and contradictory message being sent by health care professionals.

Frankly, I'm lost for words, but I'm leaving this discussion now.

To be clear, I am not unsupportive of those who find it very hard to resist foods that might not be the wisest choices. We all have "something" it'd be best we don't consume, do or whatever. I'm not. I'm just not for taking those choices and obviously the associated decisions away from people.

Don't let's forget the forbidden fruit tastes sweetest.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Don't let's forget the forbidden fruit tastes sweetest.' That sounds like 'Go on, just one won't hurt!' Umm, yeh, it will. One can become a habit. If something is forbidden at least we know where we are with it.

As an aside, many years back I was trying to explain to my DN that I was finding it impossible to lose weight. I explained that I could stick to a diet and exercise plan but my body just refused to lose weight. Her reply was 'Oh, yes I find it hard to resist the doughnuts too!' That wasn't what I said at all!! She just didn't listen to me.

This thread reminds me very much of that conversation.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frankly, I'm lost for words, but I'm leaving this discussion now.

To be clear, I am not unsupportive of those who find it very hard to resist foods that might not be the wisest choices. We all have "something" it'd be best we don't consume, do or whatever. I'm not. I'm just not for taking those choices and obviously the associated decisions away from people.

Don't let's forget the forbidden fruit tastes sweetest.
Omg. Not selling cakes at a drs surgery is hardly taking peoples choice away, it’s just saying that is not the place to enable poor choices

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.

Maybe take a step back on the bickering..

I don’t do cake.

However, when my wife & I married, my wife mentioned “we gotta have a cake.” for one for the joint cutting off? (Said “cake.) As per tradition.
So we had a black one shaped like my van. Of which on the day to be wed I intended to pick my bride up with her parents from their house? It’s more like a bus..
My profile pic depicts my wife & I at the time in sugar as a cake topping sat on the roof of my bus?

so, visually the cake appealed to me. Feedback from the non-Ds was positive.
I was firmly in the minority as the only D at the event..

If my comment don’t provoke thought? Feel free to peruse the forum ethos rules appertaining dietary choice relevant to our individual condition. Including those with a non-condition too.. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

Blime, even I remember theses charity awareness cake events prior to diagnosis in 1976? It all seems very post WW2. Let’s not start a 3rd on this topic…

Thank you all. :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let us take on board that the NHS official guidelines on diet are Eatwell, and not Low Carb or keto.

I attended an NHS meetimg to discuss DESMOND content before it was finalised so diabetics a plenty were invited. That too had cakes and trifles and sticky buns for the lunchtime break (sandwiches and pork pies). They offered teas and coffees during the session, but there were no sweeteners in the house.

I attended a church meeting for a lecture on diabetes given by DUK (the other lot) and in the break we were given access to their promo stall in the foyer that was also stuffed high with cakes and chocolate goodies. They were holdong a raffle to raise money, and the main prize was an Xnas Hamper. I pointed out the absudity of this and I was informed that it was to increase their fundraising. I thought Nope, its to increase your victim pool to justify your existance.

I note that Tesco is now a major sponsor of DUK. It used to be ASDA, and before that it was Kwick Save. Same tune, different pipers

Edit to add: the DESMOND meeting I was at decided that there was a difference between the needs of T1D and T2D. As a consequence DESMOND begat DAPHNE.

Reactions: Larissima

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That may not be the best idea but ...
Not all diabetics need to eat low carb and not all cakes are high carb.
By definition most diabetics will need to keep their carbs down. The amount will vary from person to person. All carbs are converted to glucose in the stomach and unless there are demands for energy e.g. athletics etc then any excess will be stored as fat and will also raise BS.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By definition most diabetics will need to keep their carbs down. The amount will vary from person to person. All carbs are converted to glucose in the stomach and unless there are demands for energy e.g. athletics etc then any excess will be stored as fat and will also raise BS.
Not my experience - I do not restrict my carbs and am not fat.
I know quite a few others with Type 1 diabetes who are not fat and do not restrict their diet.

If you can dose your insulin appropriately with Type 1, there is no reason why eating carbs should have a different affect to someone without diabetes as we are just trying to replicate the role of the pancreas.

Reactions: EllieM

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having thought about this further, I don't think I would like any sort of fund raising stall at my doctors' surgery. I would prefer them to stick to being professional and concentrate on giving a quality service to their patients. Cake stalls and the like are best kept to school fetes etc

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having thought about this further, I don't think I would like any sort of fund raising stall at my doctors' surgery. I would prefer them to stick to being professional and concentrate on giving a quality service to their patients. Cake stalls and the like are best kept to school fetes etc
I guess this begs the question what is an nhs funded surgery actually raising funds for/to do what with the money?

Note, I’m not sure if the event in the op was a fund raiser or just an attempt to appease attendees with sugar.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess this begs the question what is an nhs funded surgery actually raising funds for/to do what with the money?

Note, I’m not sure if the event in the op was a fund raiser or just an attempt to appease attendees with sugar.
Most GP surgeries are private businesses in their own right. They contract themselves to the CCG but are legal trading entities in their own right (usually a Partnership) The NHS pays for their services but does not own them.
https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-s...rvices-gp-practices-can-and-cannot-charge-for

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn’t it be nice if they could offer low carb cakes alongside the others with recipe cards for anyone who would like them. A choice for everyone.

Maybe they did. Looks like we'll never know.