Cake sale

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most GP surgeries are private businesses in their own right. They contract themselves to the CCG but are legal trading entities in their own right (usually a Partnership) The NHS pays for their services but does not own them.
https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-s...rvices-gp-practices-can-and-cannot-charge-for
So back to the part of the question of what would they be fund raising for? To buy syringes?

I usually associate fund raising with charities (maybe schools or sports teams) not businesses. A business sells a product or a service to the consumer. As a patient I’m not buying their services although the nhs may be. Am I just a by product of the surgery/nhs purchase?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So back to the part of the question of what would they be fund raising for? To buy syringes?

I usually associate fund raising with charities (maybe schools or sports teams) not businesses. A business sells a product or a service to the consumer. As a patient I’m not buying their services although the nhs may be. Am I just a by product of the surgery/nhs purchase?
My surgery used to offer podiatry services from their practice. They also offer dermatology service . Neither of these are NHS funded. They also provide support to families outside the pure medical contract so they are in effect supporting charities, and these extra curicullar activities require funding. They also provide accommodation to a pharmacy on their premises. I am not sure if NHS funds the PPG.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Our surgery fundraises for MacMillan and the local Air Ambulance. Unfortunately, the air ambulance doesn't receive government funding, or anything from the lottery, so depends on donations from as many sources as possible.

https://theairambulanceservice.org.uk/your-local-air-ambulance/

Our local DUK group had a presentation from the Air Ambulance. Their work is quite mind blowing.

Reactions: Goonergal

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery used to offer podiatry services from their practice. They also offer dermatology service . Neither of these are NHS funded. They also provide support to families outside the pure medical contract so they are in effect supporting charities, and these extra curicullar activities require funding. They also provide accommodation to a pharmacy on their premises. I am not sure if NHS funds the PPG.

A PPG is now part of their contract.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our surgery fundraises for MacMillan and the local Air Ambulance. Unfortunately, the air ambulance doesn't receive government funding, or anything from the lottery, so depends on donations from as many sources as possible.

https://theairambulanceservice.org.uk/your-local-air-ambulance/

Our local DUK group had a presentation from the Air Ambulance. Their work is quite mind blowing.
So raising funds on behalf of a third party charity (albeit a health related one). That makes sense

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most GP surgeries are private businesses in their own right. They contract themselves to the CCG but are legal trading entities in their own right (usually a Partnership) The NHS pays for their services but does not own them.
https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-s...rvices-gp-practices-can-and-cannot-charge-for
Am I correct in thinking that they aren't required to publish their balance sheets or profit and loss numbers?
The Companies House website doesn't seem to have any info about my local mob..

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So raising funds on behalf of a third party charity (albeit a health related one). That makes sense
Where I got my covid shots from, they were selling a pack of fridge magnets, the money they made went to a local charity.

qxKltLA.jpg

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thanks for that.. always wondered why..

So is there no way of finding out how much they make out of us?
I don't think there will be many (if any) listed in Forbes. I would estimate their salaries to be similar to that of a Head Teacher like £80k-£100k. None of the ones I know socially lives in opulence or has a lavish lifestyle. GP's tend to work on past NRD, unless on grounds of ill health. Not one I knew wore a Rolex or drove a Porche. They seem comfortably well off.

Where they may make a small fortune is in what is called Goodwill, which is a share of the proceeds when a practice is sold on or their share in the partnership is terminated if the practive is dissolved. possibly on the death of a founder, And of course those in private practice benefit from their activities, such as in Harley St or Spire Health or Nuffield.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have helped at the MacMillan Coffee Mornings at our surgery, in the days before the barricades went up and never came down. I also baked, enthusiastically for the sales - all "normal" cakes and savouries.

Personally, I think it's up to me what I choose to eat or drink and for anyone to tell me I (in the context of my T2 diagnosis) shouldn't be having x, y or z, at a an irregular, fund-raising event is inappropriate. The event isn't being help as a health awareness event for those with dietary challenges, it is to raise funds.

Let's face it, if I want to contribute to the funds raised, I can just put my hand into my pocket and do it - cash in the kitty.

(I'll just get my hard hate and flak jacket and sit in the corner awaiting the incoming. :) )
No hate here as we all know tea (and cake) are the currency of goodwill in this country. We can choose to have our cake and not eat it but I also like the idea of somebody making a healthier version so as not to trigger the sugar addicts.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think there will be many (if any) listed in Forbes. I would estimate their salaries to be similar to that of a Head Teacher like £80k-£100k. None of the ones I know socially lives in opulence or has a lavish lifestyle. GP's tend to work on past NRD, unless on grounds of ill health. Not one I knew wore a Rolex or drove a Porche. They seem comfortably well off.

Where they may make a small fortune is in what is called Goodwill, which is a share of the proceeds when a practice is sold on or their share in the partnership is terminated if the practive is dissolved. possibly on the death of a founder, And of course those in private practice benefit from their activities, such as in Harley St or Spire Health or Nuffield.
My info is around ten years old so a bit out-of-date but for a whole time equivalent GP we used to estimate that yearly income from NHS sources via the practice was in the region of £105,000. Of course there are many other ways for doctors to earn a bit more and many do - working in out of hours, for example. Working out income and value gets a bit more complicated with contractor GPs where the partnership owns the practice and often the land and buildings, and frequently employs other GPs.

Annual salary for a wte GP was indeed in the £70-£80k range up to the introduction of the new GP contract in 2003/4 - after which earnings rose considerably. As you say, many GPs are not primarily motivated by money so many took the opportunity to reduce their working hours, which led to a different set of problems.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Am I correct in thinking that they aren't required to publish their balance sheets or profit and loss numbers?
The Companies House website doesn't seem to have any info about my local mob..

They are required to publish some information about their earnings, ie GP net earnings, it's usually hidden somewhere on the surgery website. The NHS does collect more data but I think that is only published in aggregate statistics.

Reactions: bulkbiker