Called into the office for using my insulin in staffroom

Beat2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if i bring this up, i read a post earlier today by a teacher who experienced same thing that happened to me this morning.

My day started, but manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room, i use a novapen, i eat my dinner, was my plates, then take my insulin, i feel i'm discreet, i take my jumper off and just lift my sleeve, few clicks and its gone, i don't pull down my trousers or sit with a big syringe while i draw the insulin, now i've always as many of you have struggled through life trying to be accepted as having a normal life, but to be told that i should get up and go and take it else where, means i'm hiding my problem, i'm being pushed into a corner so i don't upset peoples peace, I admit i got very angry and upset, felt like crying myself as i've worked with these people for years and felt that they all understood i had Diabetes and accepted the things i have to do, but obviously not, i now feel like i've gone back to the dark ages and struggling to find how i can work with people like this who can't even speak to me about it.
I'm deeply hurt is about all i can really say.

Reactions: 24 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You have certain rights as a diabetic. Your employed is required to make "reasonable adjustment". A room where you can test and administer insulin should be provided. I would go back and speak to this person and tell them exactly how you feel and how upset you are.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 31 people

simon.davies2

Get legal advice or CAB , happened to me . I wasn't allowed to keep my insulin close by , I work as a chef so it is fast paced so I had to do a BG and inject as quickly as possible , when you are told to keep elsewhere its just a matter of time before DKA sets in . I threatened to take them to court because I felt they were in breach of the human rights act ( you can download the human rights act from diabetes uk ) . Good luck

Reactions: 12 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As annoying and frustrating as it is they can under current rules uphold these type of complaints. Same as a restaurant can ask you to inject in a suitable room away from other diners, (not a toilet). Never come across this problem myself but understand abut feeling aprehensive about testing/injecting in public. Took me a long time to start wearing my pump on my arm as thats my favourite place to wear it for ease and comfort. Used to just have it there weekends and stay home. With help from my wife gained my confidence to go out with it lol. Did have my confidence knocked a bit recently but, thought f it lol. People like who have complained about you certainly don't help and are just ignorant. better hope them our their relatives don't get such a condition, wonder if they would complain then!

Reactions: 6 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if i bring this up, i read a post earlier today by a teacher who experienced same thing that happened to me this morning.

My day started, but manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room, i use a novapen, i eat my dinner, was my plates, then take my insulin, i feel i'm discreet, i take my jumper off and just lift my sleeve, few clicks and its gone, i don't pull down my trousers or sit with a big syringe while i draw the insulin, now i've always as many of you have struggled through life trying to be accepted as having a normal life, but to be told that i should get up and go and take it else where, means i'm hiding my problem, i'm being pushed into a corner so i don't upset peoples peace, I admit i got very angry and upset, felt like crying myself as i've worked with these people for years and felt that they all understood i had Diabetes and accepted the things i have to do, but obviously not, i now feel like i've gone back to the dark ages and struggling to find how i can work with people like this who can't even speak to me about it.
I'm deeply hurt is about all i can really say.
when is the people going to accept theres 1ooos of people out there with diabetes.. myself well i always go to the toilet,out of the way of prying eyes.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Stand your ground and don't be forced into taking your insulin in a toilet or anywhere else they may suggest, your doing nothing wrong and you are trying your best to do it as discreetly as possible, if they feel uncomfortable watching you inject then they do have the option of looking the other way.

Take this issue up with HR, your Trade Union or ask your local Citizens Advice Bureau and see what they say, alternatively ring the DUK careline and see if they can suggest something.

Reactions: 16 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Stand your ground and don't be forced into taking your insulin in a toilet or anywhere else they may suggest, your doing nothing wrong and you are trying your best to do it as discreetly as possible, if they feel uncomfortable watching you inject then they do have the option of looking the other way.

Take this issue up with HR, your Trade Union or ask your local Citizens Advice Bureau and see what they say, alternatively ring the DUK careline and see if they can suggest something.
As much as I agree with what you say and how angry this makes me the OP's colleagues have rights too. I've been in a similar situation and whilst nobody should have to inject or test in a toilet, an employer is only required to provide a suitable place to do these functions. I can't believe people still object to seeing us treat ourselves but once they do, an employer has a duty of care to those also.

Reactions: 6 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room

Firstly, glad the manager acknowledges that it is nothing serious and secondly the comfort of the staff is not a legal requirement of the employer whereas their health and safety is. They 'feeling uncomfortable' means nothing, your health means everything. If your manager gets that wrong, he might find himself explaining his decisions in a Court. Tell him not to be such a whimp and face upto his legal responsibilities. It's his problem, what's he going to do about it?

Reactions: 14 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
are you sure your employer heard it right, your colleagues may have said something on the lines of,
"I would not feel happy having to take insulin injections at every meal"
or "its awful having to take insulin in the rest room"
your colleagues may have had no intention to hurt you, and you need to ask them how they feel, for your own piece of mind.
best wishes and don't the boss get on top of you, only let him think he has, just to keep him sweet and you in a job.;)

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
disguating !!! and for your colleauges to be complaining makes it worse dont let them drive you into a cupboard to take ur insulin. tell her/him if they dont like it then provide you with ur own room !! so annoying to hear this x

Reactions: 4 people

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know where you are coming from with this one but people are strange folk and even stranger in the workplace. It is upsetting only because you have been pulled up for it people react in different ways especially with needles and also when eating. I would look at it this way for peace of mind someone may have mentioned this to the boss not wanting to offend you as what other option have. Its also a bit like breast feedeing it is a dark art some dont like to see it in public.

Myself I always inject out of site its just something I do for instance I was in Birmingham city centre the other week in Burger King I dont use toilets to inject and did not know Birmingham so nipped into a doorway near a church and injected a security guard was literally feet away but I always use slight of hand.

At my new place of work I always as my co-worker do you mind the sight of blood when I test and they have no problem but if I can I always do it when they are not around.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
My managers are great ifbthe staff dint like it they look away or leave the room as my boss says its their problem not mine

Reactions: 8 people

ClumberQuean

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about trying to discuss it with the people concerned/have a staff meeting about it? What I find most upsetting is that nobody had the guts to address the matter with you personally, but that they took it to your superior!! Don't let these folk depress you! take care x

Reactions: 18 people

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
I had this at a family party my own brother asked me to go in a side room to inject myself

I would carry on and it's your medicine and you have all the rights on your side

Narrow minded people should not upset you just ignore the fools

Reactions: 4 people