Called into the office for using my insulin in staffroom

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I always injected in the office, but luckily it was my office they were all in. Although i always let the people who were visiting my office know what i was about to do and if they wanted to leave. It was only ever small numbers of less than 10 in the meetings, and normally about half would leave, and usually go and get coffee for everyone.
A lot of people hate the sight of the injection, including my own wife, who always has to look away.
I agree that we have a right to inject anywhere, but also feel we must be understanding towards those that find it upsetting, and find a middle ground.

It's not worth antagonising work collegues when there will be a happy middle ground to be found

Reactions: 5 people

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Stand your ground and don't be forced into taking your insulin in a toilet or anywhere else they may suggest, your doing nothing wrong and you are trying your best to do it as discreetly as possible, if they feel uncomfortable watching you inject then they do have the option of looking the other way.

Take this issue up with HR, your Trade Union or ask your local Citizens Advice Bureau and see what they say, alternatively ring the DUK careline and see if they can suggest something.
Women seem to discreetly breastfeed in restaurants and cafes without being asked to move - injecting is so much more discreet, people shouldn't even notice!

Reactions: 9 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
tell them in no uncertain words to "wind their neck(s) in" this is a life-giving drug, not optional.

If they're that squeamish they can look away.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to test my blood sugar in the toilet of my workplace it is causing problems in my extremities like my leg below the knee and the other one is done in as well I need a few days in the house to relax. I would go to the CAB or your GP and tell them about it the GP can write you a letter to your employer do let then upset you you are braver than them. Stay strong you are not alone.

Mary Morton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if i bring this up, i read a post earlier today by a teacher who experienced same thing that happened to me this morning.

My day started, but manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room, i use a novapen, i eat my dinner, was my plates, then take my insulin, i feel i'm discreet, i take my jumper off and just lift my sleeve, few clicks and its gone, i don't pull down my trousers or sit with a big syringe while i draw the insulin, now i've always as many of you have struggled through life trying to be accepted as having a normal life, but to be told that i should get up and go and take it else where, means i'm hiding my problem, i'm being pushed into a corner so i don't upset peoples peace, I admit i got very angry and upset, felt like crying myself as i've worked with these people for years and felt that they all understood i had Diabetes and accepted the things i have to do, but obviously not, i now feel like i've gone back to the dark ages and struggling to find how i can work with people like this who can't even speak to me about it.
I'm deeply hurt is about all i can really say.
Sorry if i bring this up, i read a post earlier today by a teacher who experienced same thing that happened to me this morning.

My day started, but manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room, i use a novapen, i eat my dinner, was my plates, then take my insulin, i feel i'm discreet, i take my jumper off and just lift my sleeve, few clicks and its gone, i don't pull down my trousers or sit with a big syringe while i draw the insulin, now i've always as many of you have struggled through life trying to be accepted as having a normal life, but to be told that i should get up and go and take it else where, means i'm hiding my problem, i'm being pushed into a corner so i don't upset peoples peace, I admit i got very angry and upset, felt like crying myself as i've worked with these people for years and felt that they all understood i had Diabetes and accepted the things i have to do, but obviously not, i now feel like i've gone back to the dark ages and struggling to find how i can work with people like this who can't even speak to me about it.

It's one of those awkward ones, like breast-feeding in public. Personally I prefer privacy to do either, but I realise others feel differently. Clearly too there are those who feel uncomfortable witnessing either and others who don't give a hoot. The thing is I have a choice about privacy vs going public. Onlookers don't. It sounds, in your case, as though the expressions of discomfort are just that, not malice, and the manager isn't getting heavy. Trying to understand both points of view can often relieve the upset of thinking people don't accept your situation and help to realise there are two sides to a coin.

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
I inject myself in my tummy or legs this can be done discreetly. I have never injected in my arm. If you wear a top that overlays your trousers you can pull the waistband down and inject into your tummy. Just turn your back on the people who feel offended. It's they who have a problem not you. They are the ones who most probably moan about having a cold.

Doug56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spaghetti in tomato sauce (Prefer Spag Bol).
As much as I agree with what you say and how angry this makes me the OP's colleagues have rights too. I've been in a similar situation and whilst nobody should have to inject or test in a toilet, an employer is only required to provide a suitable place to do these functions. I can't believe people still object to seeing us treat ourselves but once they do, an employer has a duty of care to those also.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Would have thought a staff room was a good place to check your blood and inject, if needed, as staff aren't in their all the time. I wouldn't recommend using the toilet because of germs, etc, and diabetics having a low immunity to bugs and viruses etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spaghetti in tomato sauce (Prefer Spag Bol).
Was diagnosed with diabetes in 2012, lost my job because of time off following op etc, having trouble getting another job poss due to diabetes and other health reasons. Stories like this about staff and bosses really annoy me as it's not catching. People, especially bosses, ought to familiarise themselves with certain rules, regulations and UK laws concerning disabilities at work.

Reactions: 4 people

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are entitled to ask for a room to be made available to you. H & S issue here.

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out Employers' Forum on Disability (pdf file) which states that you must be provided with a private space, plus suitable storage for your insulin. You can also negotiate rest breaks as necessary.

JIMBO1944

You should call out to them before you go to inject OK CHILDREN I'M NOW GOING TO TAKE MY MEDICATION I hope I never have a Hypo . Does your employer not have a trained member of staff for First Aider if not they should have as any member of staff could really need one at some time. I wonder if your employer has any idea re all the different illnesses that staff may have Asthma or pregnancy I had to go to the assistance of many others who collapsed with epilepsy. Personally I would completely ignore and just go about my business.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why have a staff room if you can't do things in there that you wouldn't or shouldn't be doing at your desk. There are an awful lot worse things to see in this world!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not very nice being spoken to about injecting what you need for health purposes. I guess these people you work with don't like the sight of needles or something. For me I have a few issues that impact me at work... firstly I have trouble talking so I tend to not use the staffroom as it is full at lunch time and everyone wants to talk to you. Secondly I have issues with what I sit on due to severe pelvic problems so I prefer my OH&S chair at my workstation which has been set up for me. And third I prefer to inject and eat at my workstation which happens to be right near a wall so I just turn towards the wall and make sure my desk is clear and eat. I'm fortunate to be able to do that as we are on a closed floor and any customer contact is by phone. I just have colleagues around me. So most of my colleagues love talking, walking, etc. at lunch time and there's me avoiding people and injecting and taking other meds to get me through the afternoon. My bosses know my routine and they're ok with me doing what I do. As it turns out I'm right near the staffroom at work and lots of food smells come out of it so it doesn't matter if I have a hot lunch. But I reckon people should mind their own business about us injecting. I will inject when I'm in a restaurant while sitting at the table because I inject in my lower stomach and I just do that discreetly.

Reactions: 4 people

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders

Hi there, yes I have had the same in the past as I was told it put people off their dinner I got complaints doing it in the staff room when I worked in some other Nursery I felt an outsider. I was told it was making them feel uncomfortable then I was. It was how the manager addressed it to me and worded it that made me feel upset the most she could have put it a nicer way. She said it was making people feel sick watching me although I did hide it to the side and did try my best to be discrete. They were rude there anyway so I left as I was just fed up with the rudeness and being impolite to me . I was asked to do it in the toilet/ bathroom. I do inject in bathrooms but I try not to only do it in desperation as I find it not hygienic myself don't know if that's how you feel when having to hide away and do the injection in the toilets especially the ones near home in shopping malls they are discussing.
Angela T.

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Why have a staff room if you can't do things in there that you wouldn't or shouldn't be doing at your desk. There are an awful lot worse things to see in this world!
Some people are just ignorant if it happens to them then they would act and say things differently.
Angela T

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I take mine in front off people if they don't like it then they don't have to look do they xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I always wondered if they are squeamish why are they being nosey and looking I don't get it lol. Your being discrete as possible to try and hide it whilst doing it and they still look nutters lol. So you are trying in a way to be reasonable by hiding it but they are so nosey buy trying to look what your doing in the first place madness you can't win lmao.
Angela T

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I always wondered if they are squeamish why are they being nosey and looking I don't get it lol. Your being discrete as possible to try and hide it whilst doing it and they still look nutters lol. So you are trying in a way to be reasonable by hiding it but they are so nosey buy trying to look what your doing in the first place madness you can't win lmao.
Angela T
Then they report you to the manager saying they are uncomfortable why look lol.
Angela T

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
disguating !!! and for your colleauges to be complaining makes it worse dont let them drive you into a cupboard to take ur insulin. tell her/him if they dont like it then provide you with ur own room !! so annoying to hear this x
Your right I have asked this in the past if you don't like it why not provide a medical room where you can inject. I try to do it discrete but people still stare then they complain idiots don't look then so annoying. I worked in two places recently had to go p/t now because of health and signed off for 4wks :( but luckily they are quite good with this situation and understanding. well on the injection side of things anyway. It was one of my places in the past they were so rude with my Diabetes in many ways will never go back as they were so rude with it all.