Callibration

paula1974

Just a quick, stupid question :oops:

When I was in hosp recently, one of the nurses said I need to callibrate my meter every time I use a new packet of strips. Ive never done this. What is callibration, how do I do it and is it really important?

Thanks
An embarassed Paula

louiseb

it just simply means checking that the meter is giving accurate results to do this you need test fluid which you can obtain free of charge form the company who supply your meter.
you put the test fluid on a test strip like you would when testing your blood and follow the instruction mannal of your meter for the the range that the result should be in.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
paula1974 said:
Just a quick, stupid question :oops:

When I was in hosp recently, one of the nurses said I need to callibrate my meter every time I use a new packet of strips. Ive never done this. What is callibration, how do I do it and is it really important?

Thanks
An embarassed Paula

Paula.
I think this may be about the coding of your meter, not about checking the calibration ?

Some meters need to be coded when you start a new tub of strips. My own One Touch UltraSmart needs to be coded when the tub of strips changes. The tub will have a code number on the side and this has to be the same on the meter. When I first insert a new strip it shows a number on the screen which I have to adjust to match the code number on the tub. Once that is done then I can take a Bg reading and know that it is accurate (as can be).

Some meters do not need to have this done as they are self coding or they use a 'chip' with the code implanted.

Checking the calibration of a meter only needs to be done if you think that the meter is giving odd readings. NOT every time you change the tub of strips. As Louiseb says it just checks that the meter is working within the tolerances allowed.

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
Hi Paula,

It's not a stupid question at all!

To calibrate your meter you will need to contact the manufacturer of your meter and ask them to send you some control solution. It should be free.

You should be able to find the helpline number in the welcome pack that came with your meter.

It's important to calibrate to make sure that both the meter and test strips are functioning within the correct tolerances.

I also believe most manufacturers will also supply free batteries and record books.

Klair

paula1974

Thanks all

Ken, I dont think it is coding as I have a contour usb and it says NO CODING.
I think it is callibrating, but do I have to do this EVERY TIME I open new pack of strips or just every once in a while?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Paula.
No. You don't have to check the calibration every time you change the strips. As you say your meter has no coding, unlike mine which has.

i have checked my meter about once in every 3 months with the solution provided. I think the Nurse was a little mixed up. :)

paula1974

Thanks Ken

I dont think she was an expert as was on a gynae ward cos medical ward was closed due to norovirus!!!!!!

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
Hi again,

To my knowledge, it's every time you open a new pack. My strips come in a pack of 51 (Accu-chek Compact) so I use one to calibrate the meter and the rest to test me.

Klair

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Klair.

Sorry, but you do NOT need to check calibration every time. Only if you suspect the meter of giving spurious readings. The instructions with my meters and I have had at least 6 were all clear about that. What does your Accu-Chek one say then ?

The only one I ever had that said every time was an old Medisense one, all the other have just said routinely but certainly not every time box of new strips is used. Maybe some do ?? Interesting to see if others do. My SDSN aso said the same, every 2 -3 months etc.

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
Ken,

According to page 129 of the reference manual that came with my meter (Accu-chek compact plus), I should check...

"after you have opened a new pack of test strip drums,

after you have replaced the batteries.

after your meter has displayed the bottle symbol prompting you to perform a performance check,

after you have cleaned the measuring window of the meter,

if your result does not agree with how you feel."

I think that's why they supply 51 test strips instead of 50.

Klair

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Looks like different meters ....different strokes then. Paula what meter have you got ? What does your book say ? Looks like we are all learning something tonight.

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
cugila said:
Looks like we are all learning something tonight.

Hiya Ken,

Yes, but not just tonight! It's one of the main reasons I love this forum. I have learnt so much from reading the posts here. I might not post often but that doesn't mean that I'm not a regular visitor.

It's also why I don't consider any question relating to diabetes to be stupid.

Klair

paula1974

Hi Ken

I have a contour usb. Not sure what the book says and its late and I need my sleep :lol: So will check in the morning.

Paula

cugila

Master
Dislikes
paula1974 said:
Hi Ken

I have a contour usb. Not sure what the book says and its late and I need my sleep :lol: So will check in the morning.

Paula

C'mon Paula.......time to get up ! :D

Well, last night I trawled the website for the Bayer Contour USB meter instructions and although the solution is mentioned there because I am not a member I couldn't find the info about your meter and Control Solution. So I will have to leave that one with you.

Anyway, you can rest assured that in future my advice will be to say MIGHT have to test with control solution each time a new tub of strips are opened.......all depends on the meter instructions.

Thanks to Klair too. Glad you love it here.......me too ! :D

louiseb

hi ken my dsn told me I had to calibrate my meter every time i open a new batch of test strips regardless of which meter as I have 3 different types she said the reason for this is to make sure that there is not a problem with the test strips which can be dangerous as you might get a higher reading when your actually hypo.
I have to say though Ii dont calibrate the meter with every new pack of test strips :oops:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Louise.
Yes, there is a lot of conflicting advice. As we found out last night ! :lol:

Anyway, the bottom line is it all depends on what meter you have and what the manufacturers recommend. There is definitely no hard and fast rule for all meters. I'm like you, I check mine with the Control solutions every 2 -3 months or if a reading seems way out of line although with the present meter I have never had that happen. 14 yrs a Diabetic and still learning....... :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Louise,

I have always used the Accu-chek meters made by Roche and they do advise that you do a control solution test when starting a new pack of strips. TBH I don't do this every-time and only do so when I feel it necessary or when I realise that I've not carried out a test for a few months. To date not once have I found my meters to be inaccurate and outside the given range, but that's not say it doesn't happen and it would be good practise to get in the habit of doing a control test when starting a new pack of strips.

Nigel

paula1974

Hi all.

Ken - I did get up earlier, just didnt log on :lol: :lol: I forgot :oops:

Read my instuctions. It doesnt say much, so phoned customer services. They said every once in a while is fine. They are sending me some control solution.

Thanks all for your help. I too have found this forum to be extremely helpful and enjoy having a nose around x

louiseb

noblehead said:
Louise,

I have always used the Accu-chek meters made by Roche and they do advise that you do a control solution test when starting a new pack of strips. TBH I don't do this every-time and only do so when I feel it necessary or when I realise that I've not carried out a test for a few months. To date not once have I found my meters to be inaccurate and outside the given range, but that's not say it doesn't happen and it would be good practise to get in the habit of doing a control test when starting a new pack of strips.

Nigel

thanks nigel I think I might start calibrating the meter every time i get new strips

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Boots tester that uses Optium plus test strips which come with a calibration stick in each box that you insert into the meter before you use any of the new strips. The code of the strips then displays on the screen each time you insert a test strip and you should make sure that number matches the one on the foil wrapper of the strip.
Hope this helps someone!!
Angie