Callibration

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
calibration and controling are two different things.
Calibation is adjusting the meter to the new batch of strips. Some meters use a code, some use a chip, some use a special strip and some don't need 'coding' as the strips don't vary from batch to batch.Errors in calibration may lead to errors in readings.
http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/m28.htm
Controling is checking whether the meter itself is working within tolerances and is done with control solution. My one Touch says it should be controlled once a week and each time you open a new tub of strips.The trouble is the tolerances are very wide so it needs a big change for them to 'fail' the test. If I could get it easily I'd use it but as I've only ever been able to get hold of it at the hospital here that's not very often. I do have 2 meters from the same manufacturer so I'll sometimes check that they give similar readings (they're never the same).

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi guys,
I now have 5 different meters and I have never calibrated any of them even though most come with a free bottle of liquid. Having said that, I test regularly to control my bg's and have been in the 5% club for 18 months. When I read that people have had to throw away their meters because they are inaccurate, I may sit up and take notice.

All the best - Steve

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
My OneTouch UltraSmart says :
OneTouch Ultra Control Solution is used to check that the meter and the test strips are working together as a system and that you are performing the test correctly.

It is very important that you do this simple check routinely to make sure you get an accurate result.

From page 12 of my owners booklet. I even phoned today and asked Customer Services and they stated " 2-3 months is sufficient unless the readings are suspect."

Then this is from the leaflet that comes with the actual Control Solution :

When you begin using a a new vial of test strips.
At least once a week.
Whenever you suspect that the meter or test strips are not working properly.
When your blood glucose test results are not consistent with how you feel, or when your test results are not accurate.
If you drop the meter.

It is apparent that there is no definite answer, everybody seems to be told different things and various meter manufacturers have different information. I am as puzzled as before because even Lifescan are telling me 3 different things as above ??? So........who/what do you believe ? I have no idea. Personally I will do what I have always done as it seems to work fine......no problems.

As for everybody else they will just have to read the instructions and do what they think is best.