Calling U.S Diabetics!

Nafu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm a Brit who will (if the K-1 goes through without a hitch!) be emigrating to the U.S within a year. How does it work over there? Do they have special diabetic health insurance? or do you get charged a fortune for your insurance? whats the average sort of deductible you have to cover before they assist? Any and all information will be much appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm a Brit who will (if the K-1 goes through without a hitch!) be emigrating to the U.S within a year. How does it work over there? Do they have special diabetic health insurance? or do you get charged a fortune for your insurance? whats the average sort of deductible you have to cover before they assist? Any and all information will be much appreciated!

Cheers

Tagging @TorqPenderloin and @Kristin251 for you.

You could also try a search in the meantime. I'm pretty sure Torq has explained well how it works before.

Nafu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am mildly terrified of the orangutan that's in charge, but when you're in love :p Thank you Azure, I'll see if I can find it.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its that uncertainty about the medical side of things that has put me off ever considering a move abroad......

I am sure if your working it will be fine...

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am mildly terrified of the orangutan that's in charge, but when you're in love :p Thank you Azure, I'll see if I can find it.

Well trump said he'll repeal Obamacare so healthcare will be much more free market, it depends on where you live but a local insurance is pry your best bet

Reactions: Struma

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely do your research - it is a different world over there.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Remember that health insurance routinely excludes pre-existing conditions so read the fine print on any quotes.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Remember that health insurance routinely excludes pre-existing conditions so read the fine print on any quotes.
It's changed (supposedly). Health insurers can no longer charge more or deny coverage to you or your child because of a pre-existing health condition like asthma, diabetes, or cancer. They cannot limit benefits for that condition either. Once you have insurance, they can't refuse to cover treatment for your pre-existing condition.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am mildly terrified of the orangutan that's in charge, but when you're in love :p

I suppose Trump does have his softer more caring side to the one he portrays on the media.. ;)

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well trump said he'll repeal Obamacare so healthcare will be much more free market, it depends on where you live but a local insurance is pry your best bet
Though it might not happen but either way healthcare is much more free market over here