Calories :(

Seyiauetta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cigarette Smoke. People who need to be reminded a gazillion times that I'm still Deaf even though I have a voice!
Hello all, does anyone know how people keep their calories up please on a mediterranean diet??? I'm prescribed metformin as it seems most are and so wondered if anyone knew? I've lost half a stone in a week. Any ideas please? :(

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado, olive oil, olives and nuts and seeds as well as fatty fish such as salmon or tuna. I use mayo too

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Why do you want to keep your calories up? If you are losing weight down to a good BMI level then why worry. If you keep losing weight (unlikely in practice) then have more proteins and fats.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would tend to have a similar view to Diabell, provided you want to lose weight. Additionally, if you mean you have lost c7lbs in your first week, it is likely that will settle to a more modest level in due course. Using any weight reduction diet will usually show a bigger drop in the very early weeks - most of which is fluid.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of what you have lost so far will be fluid (eating carbs often causes us to retain water), so losing that is a good thing. I don't think wandering around carrying extra liquid is ever a good idea.

If you don't want to lose any more weight, then there are a couple of options - eat more protein, eat more carbs, or eat more fat. If you have gone very low carb, eating the fat may not work, since fat and carbs together seem to be the way to put weight on the quickest and easiest. But protein and fat may be your best option. You could also do more exercise to build muscles (but that would still end up meaning that you needed to eat more to feed the muscles, which are hungrier than fat tissues).