Can’t seem to lower my blood sugar

Sharonp89

Your questions have already been answered, but just to be completely redundant: Your fasting blood sugars are the last to come down. If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, and you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, your body could cope with what you put in it. And eventually, those fasting blood sugars will follow suit, but it can take a while. (Don't be surprised if it takes 6 months... So save yourself the strips!). As for having a hard time giving up carbs, well... They are addictive. When you eat them, your body will demand more. And like any addictive substance, if you wean yourself off, the cravings'll go too. Take it from someone who used to put 5 scoops of sugar in her espresso. And then 5 portions of sweetener. I use none now. Just a matter of getting used to it. ;)
Your questions have already been answered, but just to be completely redundant: Your fasting blood sugars are the last to come down. If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, and you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, your body could cope with what you put in it. And eventually, those fasting blood sugars will follow suit, but it can take a while. (Don't be surprised if it takes 6 months... So save yourself the strips!). As for having a hard time giving up carbs, well... They are addictive. When you eat them, your body will demand more. And like any addictive substance, if you wean yourself off, the cravings'll go too. Take it from someone who used to put 5 scoops of sugar in her espresso. And then 5 portions of sweetener. I use none now. Just a matter of getting used to it. ;)
Thank you, I will keep trying and researching to find what works for me and my body, I have had a better day and have been able to keep my blood sugars below 10 today. Still not perfect but a big improvement from what it normally is.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily I only have to do 2 days a week of being vegetarian but I can’t eat fish or eggs on those days either. Just trying to see what will work and what won’t work. Just got to keep motivated and to keep at it.
Why do you have to do this? Is it totally outside your control? If it makes things harder for your health and you sound reluctant it seems an odd decision. No obligation to explain if you’d rather not.

Sharonp89

Why do you have to do this? Is it totally outside your control? If it makes things harder for your health and you sound reluctant it seems an odd decision. No obligation to explain if you’d rather not.
It’s for religious reasons I’m punjabi and when I got married my in laws do this for religious reasons hence why I now follow it too

Reactions: HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that by eating very low carb on the non vegetarian days that you cope with some extra carbs - or you might fast on those days as a better option than eating more carbs than you can cope with.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s for religious reasons I’m punjabi and when I got married my in laws do this for religious reasons hence why I now follow it too
Thanks for explaining. I never realised part time vegetarian was a thing for any religion. You live and learn.

edit to add I was interested and just read about langar. Sounds a wonderful thing for the community.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily I only have to do 2 days a week of being vegetarian but I can’t eat fish or eggs on those days either. Just trying to see what will work and what won’t work. Just got to keep motivated and to keep at it.
Are any animal products allowed? I’m thinking butter on vegetables to help fill you up or sauces made with cream and cheese. Nuts? Avocados? Otherwise legumes may be an idea as still lower than many other vegetarian high carb items. Maybe the vegetarian section on here can give you some ideas too. Some manage it full time so there’s obviously some options out there. Or google vegan keto ideas.

Reactions: Arun74PG

Sharonp89

Are any animal products allowed? I’m thinking butter on vegetables to help fill you up or sauces made with cream and cheese. Nuts? Avocados? Otherwise legumes may be an idea as still lower than many other vegetarian high carb items. Maybe the vegetarian section on here can give you some ideas too. Some manage it full time so there’s obviously some options out there. Or google vegan keto ideas.
I can have everything else apart from meat fish and eggs. Yes will definitely have a look on the vegetarian sections as these are the days I find hard to figure out what to have. Thank you so much for your advice and help!

Sharonp89

You might find that by eating very low carb on the non vegetarian days that you cope with some extra carbs - or you might fast on those days as a better option than eating more carbs than you can cope with.
Yes this sounds like something I could try to see what works best. Thank you for your help.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can have everything else apart from meat fish and eggs. Yes will definitely have a look on the vegetarian sections as these are the days I find hard to figure out what to have. Thank you so much for your advice and help!

Hi Sharon, looking at your situation, if it were me, I might be inclined on veggie days, to treat that as almost a 5:2 situation. The "traditional" 5:2 eating plans were 5 days "dieting" and 2 days more freedom. Curiously, many folks would choose that the 2 day part would be at the weekend. :)

However, I might go for 5 days of low cab, but eating plenty, including plenty protein and fats but on the veggie days, focus on lots of LC veg, or even vegetable soups, which can be very filling and not too carb heavy.

I guess the challenge for you, like the rest of us is finding some sort of mix that suits you. Many of us might follow similar principles, but lots of the detail will differ.

Reactions: HSSS

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I will keep trying and researching to find what works for me and my body, I have had a better day and have been able to keep my blood sugars below 10 today. Still not perfect but a big improvement from what it normally is.
You don't have to have perfect bloodsugars overnight. Keep in mind your liver thinks you should be higher, as that is what it is used to, so might be dumping a little extra glucose to "help". Give yourself and your liver a little time. ;) You're making progress, celebrate!

Reactions: Sharonp89

Sharonp89

Hi Sharon, looking at your situation, if it were me, I might be inclined on veggie days, to treat that as almost a 5:2 situation. The "traditional" 5:2 eating plans were 5 days "dieting" and 2 days more freedom. Curiously, many folks would choose that the 2 day part would be at the weekend. :)

However, I might go for 5 days of low cab, but eating plenty, including plenty protein and fats but on the veggie days, focus on lots of LC veg, or even vegetable soups, which can be very filling and not too carb heavy.

I guess the challenge for you, like the rest of us is finding some sort of mix that suits you. Many of us might follow similar principles, but lots of the detail will differ.
Thank you anything is worth a try to see how it effects me and my sugars!

Sharonp89

You don't have to have perfect bloodsugars overnight. Keep in mind your liver thinks you should be higher, as that is what it is used to, so might be dumping a little extra glucose to "help". Give yourself and your liver a little time. ;) You're making progress, celebrate!
Thank you! Yes a little progress goes a long way. Going to defo keep it up no slacking.