1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Can’t stop eating sweet stuff

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by cazzy57, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I respect and understand the challenges you are facing. Sweet stuff is incredibly addictive. As are I think many carbs. So, maybe there are options you could try to mitigate the desire for sweet. I find strawberries and Greek yoghurt help keep me off the bad stuff. I also try to keep it out of the house as no matter how much I think it'll be an occasional treat the more I will just have it when willpower weakens

It's awful I knoe but cold turkey and just fingting the urges is one way and for me, once I got a few days on, the cravings stop. Keep going one day at a time and days turn to weeks to monthz

Lockdown makes it harder. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Would have been nice of the OP to put fingers to the keyboard

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

No, neither are dangerous but carbs raise BS and weight and fats don't.
    No, neither are dangerous but carbs raise BS and weight and fats don't. You mentioned Calories in your post. Ignore Calories as they are irrelevant and merely a scientific measure of energy; they are not a food. Just focus on the three main food groups. The good thing about 85% dark Chocolate is that the carb content is low and the fat content is high. Carbs cause BS and weight gain whereas fats contribute little.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. grum

grum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Cazzy
    Haven't been on the site for a while ,your enjoyment of the 'sweet stuff' stood out to me though during my quick visit. I sympathise with you, having a sweet tooth myself.
    Most of the advice you have been given, ie eat nuts, fruit, yogurt, is all a much better idea (unless allergic to any of them) even more so if you aren't a celery or carrot stick lover, water melon is an idea also.
    It does all come down to willpower, it's so hard especially when some people have been restricted to the four walls they live in for over a year now much harder to not have their comfort food. I'm a carer in my home, the person I care for, like you is unable to exercise., weight increase due to meds, lack of exercise and some enjoyment of 'naughty' treats (their only pleasure).
    I've eaten more naughty things due to being at home too, we all have blips, know it's not good for us.
    If you can eat fruit/nuts, get some apples, melon, pears satsumas, almonds may be and when you feel like a sweet, chop up a fruit into bite size use small dish (so it looks a lot) I sometimes eat it using a cocktail stick, just to be different., also gives you time to be satisfied with your choice. It's time for me to shape up again, thanks to you for posting Cazzy. Give it a go!

5. Woner Woman

Woner Woman Type 2 · Member

If I fancy something sweet I tend to head for a diet Pepsi, but I try really hard to not do that during the week. Honey roast peanuts are another weakness!
    But what I do is keep a food diary which is very honest. Everything I eat goes in that diary and my sugar levels are recorded too. Seeing it written down makes you aware.
    This is help out there for people with disabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ariaxo

ariaxo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Exactly what I’m dealing with :(

7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I sometimes wonder how it would be if rather than anything with carbs, a large roast chicken, or other heap of meat, a large salad or stir fry and a huge bowl of sugar free jelly with yoghurt, or cream or real custard was on the table - would there still be cravings after all that?

8. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook