Can a doctor prescribe you Chromium Picolinate?

PickledPepper

I know you usually get this stuff from a health shop. I have started taking it and am getting good results (so far). I was wondering, can I get my doctor to prescribe me these?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I doubt it........it is not listed in the BNF59, the prescribing 'bible' for HCP's.

There was an article about Chromium Picolinate:
http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/s ... 062009.htm

The results of this small, single-dose study showed that chromium picolinate had no significant effect on insulin sensitivity, or other key features of metabolic syndrome. However, chromium picolinate did appear to increase the early phase of insulin secretion in response to glucose. The researchers concluded that their study does not support the use of chromium picolinate as a treatment for people with metabolic syndrome. Instead, they recommend relying on clinically proven alternatives, such as diet and exercise. The researchers also suggest studying the effect of chromium picolinate on insulin secretion in larger study samples to reproduce this finding and more fully understand its mechanism.

Ken

lionheart

chromium supplements

Hi folks. Watched a DVD today on effects of sugar in diet and the lecturer recommended taking Chromium Picolinate as a supplement. So off i went to a local health store and asked for them but the owner suggested i take GTF Chromium instead as the label states'this is Chromium in Glucose Tolerance Factor (GTF) form'. Anyway bought them but when looking at the label it also states that 'diabetics should consult their medical practitioner before using'. So now i don't know what to do. Do all of these supplements have that warning on. I would ask the diabetes nurse at the GP surgery but somehow i'm not convinced she would really know.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The reason for the warning is because the chromium MIGHT lower your BG.
Your Nurse is very unlikely to know anything about it.
Hana

C

catherinecherub

Hi Lionheart,

There are several reasons why you should be careful with this supplement. Have a read through this and it is always wise to get your Dr. to agree with you taking some of the supplements that are advised for diabetics. There are interactions even with ibuprofen.

http://www.rxlist.com/chromium/supplements.htm

PickledPepper

I should've posted this earlier.

I stopped taking CP because it made my eyes red for some reason? I still have most of the 100 tablets left.

I guess I'll take them from time to time just to avoid waste. But I wont be getting anymore after.