Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No fears there Catherine, I'll stick with the walking and occasional bike ride! :wink:

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:D
yes, you know that just might explain the reason for all those training plans and the emphasis on increasing your mileage gradually :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
An interesting link Catherine, it reminded me of British adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes ran seven marathons in seven different Countries in seven days back in 2003 shortly after a double heart bypass operation :shock: Personally I'd have a job running 100 yards for a bus

Sir Ranulph Fiennes 7 marathons, 7 Countries, 7 days. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3234479.stm

An amazing man and an amazing life, I recommend his autobiography "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know"

spideog

I agree with the research...I don't agree with the article that someone else wrote based on it though.

The article seems to be trying to make some scare story out of nothing. The research didn't tell anyone anything they didn't already know, "if you don't train to do <activity> then you won't be able to do <activity>".

Of course I could be reading more between the lines of the article and it's headline than is actually there, similar to how I think they have done with the research. :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
They're called "Snickers" now...

<<Groan>>

C

catherinecherub

The purpose of my OP was to make people aware that you need to train for an event like a marathon so that you stay healthy. There will always be some individuals who think that because they are feeling healthier then they can do anything and do not take the appropriate training. Most of us have met someone who thinks that because they can jog round the block, walk for an hour or do 10 sit ups then they are superfit and do not need to train.

Quite surprised that it raised such sarcasm etc.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good point Catherine! I remember my brother entering The Great North Run in the early 80's and decided to start training 3-weeks before the event, the race nearly killed him and he realised his stupidity in not training well in advance.

Nigel

abhock

theres a "golden rule" which befits most cicumstances in life:......you only get out...what you put in!!..be-it marriage...occupation....friendship....MARATHONS!!....etc. etc. etc........OH yes!!...and banks!!(he said...tongue in cheek!!??)