Can a one-off meal really set back and ruin your results?

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Off out next Wednesday evening (Well... being dragged by pals to the local Harvester!!) For a Birthday and I'm unsure as to whether eating there will set back my hard work lately to lower B.S. and lose weight.

Or am I being a bit hard by not "letting go" for one meal?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's your health.. so it's kind of up to you if you "cheat" (who are you cheating apart from yourself) or stick to the plan.
Harvester do steaks and chicken and you can swap fries for steamed veg (just ask for some extra butter). Should be pretty easy to have a low carb meal.

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
It's your health.. so it's kind of up to you if you "cheat" (who are you cheating apart from yourself) or stick to the plan.
Harvester do steaks and chicken and you can swap fries for steamed veg (just ask for some extra butter). Should be pretty easy to have a low carb meal.
Haven't been to one for a long time. More of a Nandos man! not really a dessert person nor do I drink so I might still be able to stay within focus.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always ask for a side salad in place of chips in these steak and chips type restaurants. You could always skip dessert and have a coffee with cream (check it’s real cream, not any of that sweetened squirty stuff!).

Reactions: Sean-W

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I always ask for a side salad in place of chips in these steak and chips type restaurants. You could always skip dessert and have a coffee with cream (check it’s real cream, not any of that sweetened squirty stuff!).
squirty cream! Hate the stuff!

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
That’s exactly what I use. I don’t bother counting the carbs as it’s negligible at 1.6g per 100ml
Thanks RACH! I'm just off to bath in it

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt you'll manage to pour that... its really thick.. takes a while to melt too.. I just use the regular double cream.

The trouble is it starts off really thick but by the end of the tub it’s just the same as normal double cream :oops:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble is it starts off really thick but by the end of the tub it’s just the same as normal double cream :oops:
I hadn't noticed that but ended up just spooning the one I bought from tub to mouth.. it didn't last long...although it did knock the spinner off its housing in my nespresso milk frother..

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Off out next Wednesday evening (Well... being dragged by pals to the local Harvester!!) For a Birthday and I'm unsure as to whether eating there will set back my hard work lately to lower B.S. and lose weight.

Or am I being a bit hard by not "letting go" for one meal?
I try to read menus before going.
https://www.harvester.co.uk/content/dam/harvester/pdf/ln17/harvester-main-menu-pb4.pdf

If you download a Wetherspoons menu it tells you weight, calories and carbs as well!!

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never been to a harvester so had a quick look at the menu - it's got some good choices and you can swap for free which is a great idea - also unlimited salad with any main course - I would go for steak and swap the fries for the steamed veg, lots of salad.

Maybe the chicken but I bet a penny to a pound there is sugar in the "secret" rub - you can ask - also probably sugar in the coleslaw - it may be a bit of a minefield - stick to the steak and enjoy :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMHO the answer to the OP’s original question is no.

Eating **** for a one off meal will not ruin your results.

But the other question is why would you want to ?

The whole point of changing your diet and your choices is for that to be normal.

Doing something different to normal is therefore unusual, not a treat.

For it to be a success you have to stop thinking that what you are doing is unusual or a chore, or even something you “have” to do.

It needs to be something you like doing, because you prefer it.