1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can alcohol corrupt blood sugar readings?

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Sugar High, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Sugar High

Sugar High Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If I disinfect the site of the blood glucose reading with rubbing alcohol and then take the reading while the site is still slightly damp from the alcohol, can that affect the reading?

I have had some problems in the past with prolonged soreness at the spot on my fingers where I take the readings, so I have been disinfecting the site with alcohol before and after the reading. This has virtually eliminated the soreness.

I keep a small bottle of alcohol on my desk. I dip the finger into the alcohol, let it dry, take the reading, wipe the blood off the finger, dip the finger in the alcohol again, and let it dry.

Every once in awhile, I get in a rush and may not let the finger dry completely before taking the reading. I can tell when this happens, even though the finger looks dry, because the blood looks thinner, more like water than blood.

Just now, it happened again. So I decided to run a little test. I took another reading at a different spot and got a much higher reading. I then took a third and got a reading in between the first two. Here are those readings:
    1. 12:31 am 132 mg/dL
    2. 12:32 am 239 mg/dL
    3. 12:34 am 212 mg/dL
    Can readings this diverse occur naturally?

What's the best way to disinfect the reading site without affecting the reading?

2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just wash my hands under running water and dry with some kitchen tissue. I have some alcohol wipes but would only use them if I’m testing away from home, which never happens these days anyway.

I would say it’s a fair assumption that your first reading was diluted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jackois

jackois Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told by the consultant on diagnosis never to use alcohol swabs before testing as the can skew the result, especially if not allowed to dry properly. Hand wash and test was his mantra.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Muddikins

Muddikins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Alcohol will tend to harden the skin over time and that's probably not a good thing.
    I used to use rubbing alcohol for a few weeks before I went sailing otherwise I would get huge blisters on the first day. Soap and water is good so you could wash before testing and perhaps use something with disinfectant properties afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I usually take fbg when I wake, which is usually before I actually get up. I keep a small bottle of alcohol gel cleanser, with my testing stuff next to my bed. I do wave my hand around to dry the gel before I test, and it doesn't seem to affect the reading.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m actually not really a lover of soaps and disinfection in everyday life. Even showering I only use shower gel on my pits & bits. The rest I’m just all natural warm water. Yes I do use soap on my hands after using the bathroom, but otherwise I believe in not killing the natural bacteria that I share my body with. I don’t believe that a few germs are going to skew a blood glucose test, and personally I’ve never had an infection despite reusing the same lancet for weeks :nurse:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Erm, thank you Jim, what an image!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @Sugar High I have never used alcohol to wash/wipe the area before testing, generally never get a chance to as on the move and doing up to 8 tests a day, I am hygienic and wash hands regularly, in over 7 years there's never been a problem. Although now I mainly use a continuous glucose monitor I still have to calibrate with meter tests. I would only use an alcohol wipe to change my sensor and allow the area to dry before application.

Your readings will always be different too as there's a variance in readings from any meter, so your test isn't a conclusive way of checking this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. endocrinegremlin

endocrinegremlin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Handwash oooor, squeeze out some blood and wipe that over the sized then squeeze some more out and test that glob.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sugar High

OK, thanks

11. Sugar High

Now how am I going to get that image out of my head. :bag: :yuck:
    My mother taught me not to pee on my hands! :D
    I'm only killing those that happen to be on that one finger tip. I can't imagine that that would upset any microscopic ecosystem. I sure their neighbors repopulate within minutes.
    It's not about skewing the test. It was the alcohol that I was worried might be doing that.
    I also reuse the lancet for weeks, but I dip it in alcohol before most uses. I've never had a serious infection, either, but I have had a sore finger for several days. That has stopped since I started using the alcohol. I can't have sore fingers when I perform Rachmaninoff at Carnegie Hall! o_O

12. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

We don’t use alcohol in the ambulance service because it artificially lowers the result. We wipe fingers with sterile water on a piece of gauze before doing a test.

A5163C58-5AD9-4F46-A497-B2AED850FE10.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Sugar High

Thanks for that information

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A relief.
    I thought you were asking about drinking alcohol.:wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook