Can animals / your pets sense when you are not well...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Grey Friars Bobby :) Great Film
Greyfriars churchyard is just opposite the end of Chambers Street in Edinburgh, where my dental school was, so I knew the place well. The whole churchyard has "A bit of an atmosphere" esp the "covenanters tombs". the statue of Bobbie is just outside the gate.
150px-Greyfriars-bobby-edin.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I had a border collie for years and she definitely picked up on me being unwell. She got more clingy and I knew she sensed that I was not myself. Animals def a good thing, especially those hypo awareness dogs. Woof woof lol

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Anyway I've noticed a LOT of members here have their pets, animals, snakes, gerbils, butterflies and other cute beings as their avatars, must be something in this lol, :)maybe they are the loving sensitive ones lol....

Reactions: 4 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had several cats and all of them to a greater or lesser extent reacted when I wasn't well. As far as I know my BS is never that high or that low at the moment so I don't know if they will react to that yet.

Animals are known for their incredible sense of smell and I do wonder if that plays a part. As a visa versa example I ended up taking one of the cats to the vets about 4 years ago feeling something was wrong with him, the only thing I could tell the vet, symptom wise, was 'he smelt wrong', the vet took it totally seriously. Blood test then proved that he was in the early stages of kidney problems. Careful feeding and short term medication and he was given the all clear, He is still with us at 16 years old. (The avatar shows him when he was a lot younger)

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Keep watching the cat and see if it's behaviour happens to correlate what is going on with your partner.
@Mike D ....your comment above immediately sprang to mind when my cat jumped on the bed this morning at 3.30am waking me up with a start, miaowing and nibbling my hand......all was ok / thankfully nothing was amiss...but it did make me think of your suggestion.
Think she was just being a little minx on this occasion though:cat:
Some great stories on here about animal intuition so still think there is a lot of truth in this theory.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Mike D ....your comment above immediately sprang to mind when my cat jumped on the bed this morning at 3.30am waking me up with a start, miaowing and nibbling my hand......all was ok / thankfully nothing was amiss...but it did make me think of your suggestion.
Think she was just being a little minx on this occasion though:cat:
Some great stories on here about animal intuition so still think there is a lot of truth in this theory.:)

Yep .... they're a barometer for a lot of things Molly :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not to discount or knock any of the previous posters events that have happened regarding "animal warnings"..

It could also be due to a change in the usual routine for the dog for instance when an event such as a hypo causes a "behind schedule" slow response in the "usual" feeding or walk times..?

Just to add, I've been brought up round animals & seen some weird behavioural stuff involving horses too!

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definatly think they get it, I have a black lab and he has, several times when I'm hypo, comes and puts his head on my knee, looking at me with his head tilted! He's not got it wrong yet bless him!

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well people with animals are said to live longer happier lives ... perhaps this sixth sense they have is one of the reasons why.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well people with animals are said to live longer happier lives ... perhaps this sixth sense they have is one of the reasons why.

On one of the elderly care wards I worked on, we had 3 cats and a dog. The patients loved them. Pets are very therapeutic, and stroking a cat or dog reduces blood pressure

Reactions: 5 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
On one of the elderly care wards I worked on, we had 3 cats and a dog. The patients loved them. Pets are very therapeutic, and stroking a cat or dog reduces blood pressure
Perhaps that explains why my partner's blood pressure was at an acceptable level when he had it tested by the doctor yesterday (and by the diabetic nurse a couple of weeks ago).....previously it had always been high despite the medication he is on for it......the blood pressure medication hasn't changed for ages but we do have three cats who demand to be stroked on a regular basis...:cat::cat::cat:

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can just feel it coming "You WILL stroke me! It's for your own good you Know!!":rolleyes::rolleyes:
...there is a particular routine my partner has to go through whenever he puts his shoes on.....as soon as one of them hears him pick his shoes up he... (the cat:cat:)....runs up to the third or fourth stair and rolls around wanting / demanding to be stroked...it happens every time:joyful:
...it's the same one that is nudging at my hand as I type this...and that insists on lying on the paper as my partner is trying to read it...:)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Gracey my yorkie is my hearing dog .
Tells me when microwave , washing machine , door , alarm clock
gone off .
Alerts me to cars arrival on our driveway too .
Takes me to the correct doors and post box when needed .
Moves me to oneside if someone wants to pass by me outside .

Smells the scent change on my skin for hyper or hypo levels .
Sense and smells any illness and stays loyally by my side everytime .
NEVER failed me once I must say ...
She loves my presence and company - and I her's too .
I need her for sure in my life .

When hubby works abroad they 'both' work together more .
Both taking more care of me .

Freya her older sister is usually a complete lap dog and pampered pooch .
Except for when hubby goes working abroad , she only changes when this happens .
Gracey is totally different uses her scent and instinct skills all the time with me .

YEP - animals can and do sense things well .

Reactions: 8 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
its incredible how they can learn how to use those amazing senses for out benefit.

I can't really imagine how much difference hearing/guide dogs must make to those that need them as I know there is so much I just take for granted. So glad to hear you have Gracey.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps that explains why my partner's blood pressure was at an acceptable level when he had it tested by the doctor yesterday (and by the diabetic nurse a couple of weeks ago).....previously it had always been high despite the medication he is on for it......the blood pressure medication hasn't changed for ages but we do have three cats who demand to be stroked on a regular basis...:cat::cat::cat:

Healing paws :)

Reactions: 2 people