1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can animals / your pets sense when you are not well...

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Molly56, Dec 2, 2014.

1. kay2409

kay2409 Type 1 · Member

When I was hypo, my dog used to come up to me and nudge me until I treated myself. Never trained to detect it, yet he knew. Always remember when he did it, he'd tilt his head as if to say 'come on, get yourself back to normal'. Miss him

• Like Like x 2
  2. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

My dog slept on corner of bed at the bottom, hypo's she knew before me or hubby.... She would come up to my top of the duvet and get in under it and start licking me.. That would be before either of us knew..

• Like Like x 2
  3. pavlovsdog

pavlovsdog Type 2 · Well-Known Member

lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. pavlovsdog

Definately. I had two cats, and they both stayed by me whenever I was ill. One of them, Becky, used to lie on top of me and not budge for hours. I called it 'The Laying on of Paws'. Plus the gentle rumbling purr was very soothing...Sadly they have both gone to The Great Cattery in the Sky

• Like Like x 4
    #24 pavlovsdog, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  5. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At least he didn't ask you to do it for him:woot::woot:

• Like Like x 4
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

When I was ill in bed last week, I was kept company all day by all three of ours who were quite happy to lie next to me all day. I think that had less to do with being ill and more to do with "parent" time though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. graj0

graj0 · Guest

YES! In extreme cases, more than ill health, unless this moggy has been taught to pull the plug for the life support out of the wall. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6919063.stm

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I pressed 'liked' but not for them being in the The Great Sky Cattery,:angelic: That's where my Sonny boy is ...... wont say any more about that, except animals are tops, the best and I love 'em to bits :) :cat: :joyful:

RRB

• Like Like x 4
  9. Snowy12

Snowy12 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lol cheeky now if I had offered he would of let me he was abit of a perv towards to end,poor baby but you do have to draw the line somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  10. donnellysdogs

Amazing because often you hear about pets staying by their owners when they have died too!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. pavlovsdog

Awww thanks. They are a miss aren't they?

12. pavlovsdog

I found the comment in the article about the ill chicken and the cat a bit too suspect! :cat::chicken:

13. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Grey Friars Bobby :) Great Film

• Like Like x 2
  14. pavlovsdog

Has me in tears every time. It took me about three months to read the book as I kept crying all the time!

15. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Soppy [email protected]:hungover:

• Like Like x 4
  16. donnellysdogs

Never seen or read... As someone who still misses their girlies, 3 years on... Is this going to make me really sad to read or watch?

• Like Like x 4
  17. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You will be balling your brains out. A five tissues box of Hollywood drivel..:arghh:

• Like Like x 4
  18. donnellysdogs

Oooh daren't watch then... Still have tears ref my girlies now... Think it wld tip me over the top!!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Yep, true story too :) Unmissable

• Like Like x 2
  20. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

We've had a couple of threads on the forum from people with dogs who sensed or were trained to warn them about critical sugar levels. And I know a lady whose Cavalier has twice known ahead of diagnosis about her cancer.

One of my Cavaliers wouldn't leave my husband's bed when he had pneumonia, I had to take his food and water up for him, and another more recently was very concerned a couple of years back when I had a very dizzy sick spell, and stayed close to me on the bed all night - something he rarely ever does. My first dog used to spend hours pretending to be asleep but actually surrepticiously watching me all the time! He knew me better than I knew myself and would play on this, getting away with naughty behaviour when I was in a good mood, and being super obedient when it was "that time of the month" and I tended to be a bit irritable, and liable to be short with him.

They are great observers and interpreters of both moods and habits, and their good sense of smell can aid their interpretation of (potential) problems. They truly can be our best friends, particularly in times of need.

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook