Can anyone advise me

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Is it possible to do the low carb high fat diet without having to eat sausages, bacon, red meats, proccessed meats etc?
I am not a true vegetarian, since I eat turkey and chicken very occasionally, but mostly I prefer vegetarian foods.

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Use butter, cheese, full fat milk, cream at every opportunity. Nuts, avocado or salmon. If you need to lose weight though keep an eye on the calories, I forgot that bit!!

Reactions: 4 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A
Is it possible to do the low carb high fat diet without having to eat sausages, bacon, red meats, proccessed meats etc?
I am not a true vegetarian, since I eat turkey and chicken very occasionally, but mostly I prefer vegetarian foods.
absolutely- there are a good few on here who are vegetarians and vegans - have a look in the vegetarian recipe thread and the what have you eaten today veggie thread, I will tag @Avocado Sevenfold a great forum member who can point you in the right direction

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@coby in the US there are two doctors who promote a diabetes diet specifically for type 2 diabetes that excludes or greatly limits animal protein: Joel Fuhrman, M.D. and Neal Barnard, M.D. They each have written books on a diet for diabetes and have websites.

When I started learning everything I could about diabetes, diet, and nutrition, a big question I had was whether or not there was one diet that works best for all diabetics. I believe the answer is no. What I learned is that while many people do well on the low carb high fat diet, there are truly some people who respond best to a diet that excludes or greatly limits animal protein with an emphasis on a whole foods plant based diet instead.

I'm not one of them; however, I'm very curious as to how diabetics eat this type of diet (or a vegan/vegetarian low carb high fat diet), so will follow this thread with great interest. :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @coby Yes it is possible :cat:

I think is best not to dwell on the things you don't eat and concentrate on the ones you do. Perhaps you could make a list of all the foods you enjoy then score out the big hitters (sugar, rice, pasta, potatoes, root veg, cereals, tropical fruits) and see what you are left with. For a way of eating to be sustainable for life, you have to enjoy what you eat. There are plenty of fats from plants to fill you up. My favourites are nuts, seeds, peanuts, olive oil, cold pressed UK rapeseed oil, coconut oil. nut oils, nut butters, tahini, and avocados.

I have seen the diets promoted by the doctors that @Winnie53 mentions and wouldn't fancy them myself. Too high starch for my needs.

Reactions: 4 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Avocado Sevenfold I can't use these diets either because I'm severely insulin resistant and I don't want to take medication. That said, while I can't speak for Barnard's diet, Fuhrman's diet does appear to work for some people with type 2 diabetes. I know one person right now who returned to using it after trying low carb for a while. Too early to know if it's working for him, but he does prefer it.

I have a question for you. What are your sources of protein? That's what I'm most curious about. We have a type 1 vegetarian in our diabetes group who is eating low carb. I talked with him a few nights ago, and I offered to make inquires with you on his behalf.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Winnie53 My main sources of protein are all of the aforementioned nut and seed things, vegetables, beans, chickpeas, lentils, tofu, tvp and certain quorn. Your friend will find many resources at both the vegetarian and vegan society websites.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Avocado Sevenfold. I ask because I personally don't tolerate grains or beans well so I'm trying to figure out how people like me eat a vegan/vegetarian diet. It may be that I'm too insulin resistant. That said, I ate hummus and vegetables in place of lunch two times this week and it wasn't too much of a problem.

I wonder if each type of legume affects blood glucose levels differently. Perhaps I can tolerate some well but not others. Another thought... Perhaps when we begin eating a new food it takes time for the microbiota to adapt and in time we're be better able to tolerate a new food. There's still so much I don't understand about diabetes.

We currently have three members of our diabetes group who are eating a vegan/vegetarian diet. One is doing fine, the other two are and aren't for different reasons. It's a bit of a process to figure out what works and what doesn't. They'll eventually get there. I'll continue to mention Vegetarian Diet Forum to them. I'm so happy we have your forum now.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Winnie53 I find black beans better than kidney beans for bg but people vary. Perhaps you tolerated the hummus well due to its high fat content from tahini. I have always eaten lots of legumes so maybe that is why I can continue to eat them now despite T2. My portions are smaller now though.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to know Avocado Sevenfold. I'm trying to keep my diet as varied as possible. I too am finding that smaller amounts of legumes work best for me. I hadn't thought about the tahini. That's a helpful observation.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Use butter, cheese, full fat milk, cream at every opportunity. Nuts, avocado or salmon. If you need to lose weight though keep an eye on the calories, I forgot that bit!!
Thanks for your advise :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for your advise :)
I'm not sure I can give up my porridge with fresh blueberries each morning. Is this going to stop the rest of the diet working?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@coby, I have a mix of berries every morning on the side with my egg and veggie omelet. Test your blood glucose right before eating breakfast then 1 or 2 hours afterward a couple of times. See how your body responds.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Galja, when I was growing up, I liked eating wild rice. I need to try it and test. Hummus is a treat for me when I'm away from home. It's the only healthy choice to eat at my favorite coffee house. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Galja I'd really like to offer our diabetes group members a variety of diet options. Did you ever read and follow the diet described in Neal Barnard's diabetes book? I have his book somewhere...but I haven't read it because I was under the impression that it is a no fat diet, and I love fat. What were the results of Barnard's kickstart diet for you? Why did you choose to not continue with it?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Oh yes... Infact "processed meat" is best avoided.

Avocados, key nuts like Brazil, macadamia, hazel, walnuts, almonds are all terrific.

Strawbs, blue, black, rasps are all good in LCHF.

Just a few thoughts:)!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh yes... Infact "processed meat" is best avoided.

Avocados, key nuts like Brazil, macadamia, hazel, walnuts, almonds are all terrific.

Strawbs, blue, black, rasps are all good in LCHF.

Just a few thoughts:)!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Ohh wonderful! I love blueberries in particular and always have a large handful on my porridge oats every morning so I'm pleased about that :)
I also have three brazil nuts, four walnuts and a few blanched almonds every day. I'm starting to add Chia seeds to my porridge too ... just started this week. I feel more encouraged now Kevin

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a vegetarian, and do follow the LCHF way of eating .. I have olive oil and coconut oil plus all my normal full fat foods. There is no need to eat meat.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am a vegetarian, and do follow the LCHF way of eating .. I have olive oil and coconut oil plus all my normal full fat foods. There is no need to eat meat.
Wow! I could do with any tips you have ... or can you reccommend a vegetarian cook book for diabetics in particular?