Can anyone advise please?

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much @bulkbiker - can I ask how many strips am I likely to use, say in a week? And if I were to order the ten packs do they have a ‘use by’ date or would that not be an issue? Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much @bulkbiker - can I ask how many strips am I likely to use, say in a week? And if I were to order the ten packs do they have a ‘use by’ date or would that not be an issue? Sorry for all the questions!
No worries.. when I first started out I did a test on waking up (the FBG Fasting Blood Glucose) that is often talked about.
Then I would test before and two hours after meals. As I ditched breakfast on diagnosis I would test 5 times a day with sometimes a final before bed test depending on when I had eaten dinner. So fo me 50 strips would last between 8-10 days with a few errors and double readings to check (I'm a bit lazy about the hand washing thing so get some odd readings that need a double check). If you are eating 3 meals a day then you should budget for 7 per day so a pack of 50 should last about a week.
My current pack of strips have an end date of 04/04/2019 so they last for about a year,

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you Ragmar. Shelley, I’m going to order a meter - will probably be back to ask for more advice when it arrives ... clueless springs to mind! Thanks so much for all your help.
Wow. I've just realised you've done this without a meter.
A very very Well Done!!! :)

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @ickihun but it’s really down to this amazing site, reading what others are doing, clicking on links and making lists and notes. Walked out of the doctors shocked, dazed and clueless apart from some vague advice about dividing my plate into three types of food! Hopefully, with a meter, I can do even better.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi AnnieH,
When you get to know what puts up your blood glucose. Eg. Refined carbs, and avoid them, one finds one needs to test less and less. Fifty code free strips now last me three months.
Excellent results you've obtained in such a short time.
Quite a few have issues with the first line med, Metformin, it can cause loose bowels for some, for a time.
best wishes
Derek