Can anyone advise please?

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on January 9. I found this site straightaway and though I haven’t posted have followed all the information and advice. My HB1ac was 70 and although the doctor recommended medication and statins I asked if I could have three months to try to improve things through diet and exercise - she agreed but said she was very doubtful that I would succeed. I went down the low carb route and ten weeks later I have lost 30lbs and my latest HB1ac result is 44. I have an appointment at the diabetic clinic on April 17 ... can anyone advise whether this is going to be good enough? I have been unable to get on any of the diet courses as they are all full so am purely going on the great advice I see on here. Thank you for any help.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done in such a short time. You are now within the pre-diabetic range. Ultimately it's only a decision you can make in discussion with your HCP but it is certainly in your favour. If it were me, I'd be asking for another review in 3-6 months time and carrying on doing as you are.

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you James - I am sure taking medication is not a bad thing but I have never taken any except the very occasional paracetamol for a headache and this has all come as a bit of a shock which I am sure is the case for everyone.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure you're needing any help as your 44 fairly rocks down from 70 in three months and in losing 30 lbs, would suggest you don't need to sign up for any classes. If your practice has half an idea they should recommend going on for another 6 months and see where you get to.
Think you've done a great job and thanks for posting, keep it up.
:)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
More than good enough. I suspect the courses will not take you any further forward as they have to assume Type 2 is chronic and progressive and they have to prescribe the Eatwell Plate / Guide of whatever the same mantra is.

It is awful that your Doctor who studied for at least 7 years has little faith in you, and that you who have had to deal with shock, major change and trauma has found the right answer in a matter of weeks. Your numbers are excellent and a step away from non-diabetic numbers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Annie and welcome! Well done on your achievements so far. I started at an HbA1c of 70 too, but took Metformin straight away as there was a suggestion that I’d had a borderline blood test some years previously that I wasn’t told about, so I wanted to normalise my blood tests asap. I’m sure if you continue as you are, you’ll get your HbA1c down further.
As others have said I wouldn’t worry about missing out on the education, they won’t be able to better what you’ve done, in fact their advice will more than likely make you worse!

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both so much - I am hoping light nights and thus more dog walking and the great help on here should see even more progress - it’s not ideal to hear your doctor doesn’t think you can succeed but just made me more determined to be honest

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Rachox - the advice on here is definitely very different to what the doctor and diabetic nurse suggested and the low carb option has seen me through this far and I will definitely stick with it. I’m sure you’re right that if I had been offered a course straightaway I could have been sent down a different path that might have not worked as well for me

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on January 9. I found this site straightaway and though I haven’t posted have followed all the information and advice. My HB1ac was 70 and although the doctor recommended medication and statins I asked if I could have three months to try to improve things through diet and exercise - she agreed but said she was very doubtful that I would succeed. I went down the low carb route and ten weeks later I have lost 30lbs and my latest HB1ac result is 44. I have an appointment at the diabetic clinic on April 17 ... can anyone advise whether this is going to be good enough? I have been unable to get on any of the diet courses as they are all full so am purely going on the great advice I see on here. Thank you for any help.
Well done you both for your results and for taking control. I imagine your HCP will be absolutely gobsmacked at your achievement although they probably won't want to hear how you did it as it contradicts the "norm". That was my experience but I hope yours is better. Looks like you have dodged a bullet by not getting onto the dietary mis-advice courses that most people get sent on.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is the paradox...unfortunately most doctors don't think reversal of HbA1c can be done and even when presented with the success would classify it as an anomaly...

Very few bother to dig deeper into how that success can be replicated among their patients...a notable exception is of course Dr Unwin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Excellent turnaround, well done!

I am beginning to think that there are two classes of T2s. Those who are lucky enough to find this forum and those who arn't. HCPs are quite right right in saying that Diabetes is a chronic, progressive disease but only if one follows the dogma that these HCPs preach from. You found an alternative route and a better prognoses and the improvement in your numbers is proof so keep up the good work.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Annie welcome to the forum and do give yourself a congratulatory tap on the back as you’re doing terrifically - well done.
Re advice on meds it’s clearly your decision but I’d be tempted in your position to ask for another review in three months and see how it’s going as diet is the most powerful way to manage diabetes and if you’re able to keep going you will find that your numbers come down even more.
Do ask for anymore help and advice for example you don’t mention if you test before and after eating but this is one of the most powerful tools you can use to get your numbers down -we can help with advice if you’re not testing but would like to.
Excellent results

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much Shelley - the doctor said there was no need to test as it can worry you more but I can see on here that a lot of people do and I can certainly see the benefits as waiting ten weeks to see if I was actually doing it ‘right’ was even more worrying I’d guess. Would I get a meter through the doctor or would I buy one?

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can buy one or get a prescription for one from your doctor. I live in Canada, so I was prescribed one and it was covered by my insurance.

Testing is really beneficial. My doctor said I don't have to test because my a1c was 6.5 at diagnosis. I do though. My sugars always between 4 and 7.

But congrats on all the work you've done. It's always great to see someone doing so well.

I wish you the best in your management and care

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much Shelley - the doctor said there was no need to test as it can worry you more but I can see on here that a lot of people do and I can certainly see the benefits as waiting ten weeks to see if I was actually doing it ‘right’ was even more worrying I’d guess. Would I get a meter through the doctor or would I buy one?
You'd need to self fund the meter unfortunately but you can get a free meter from
Spirit-healthcare.co.uk if you get the tee2 they'll send you it free and you'll just need to buy the blood glucose testing strips which are 7.75 per pot of 50 just make sure you tick box that you are diabetic so you don't pay vat. As I said meter is free.
Strips are cheaper for the code free meter which you can buy from Amazon the meter is 14.75 to buy. strips are cheaper if you buy from home health @Rachox has some codes for these I'm sure she'd post for you. If you go ahead and test ask if you need help but I'd really recommend you do to work out the best foods for you as we are all individual in our reactions

Reactions: Alison Campbell

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Ragmar. Shelley, I’m going to order a meter - will probably be back to ask for more advice when it arrives ... clueless springs to mind! Thanks so much for all your help.

Reactions: dbr10

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Ragmar. Shelley, I’m going to order a meter - will probably be back to ask for more advice when it arrives ... clueless springs to mind! Thanks so much for all your help.
Most of us are when we start I struggled to work out the lancet. Worth knowing is that there are u tube videos on using a lancet and how to use them. Important thing is to test before a big meal and then two hours after. You’re aiming for an increase of less than 2.0 between the readings the lower the difference the better. If a food dosent suit you as it gives you a spike you learn to ditch it! I used a food log in an exercise book to record effects and to work out my best meals. I don’t need to do this now. A lot of us test on waking too to see how they are after an overnight fast.
There is also a free app called mysugr where if you enter at least three readings a day it gives you an estimated hbaca1 which can be useful. Good luck.

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again - I have copied and pasted your reply into my diabetes notes so I have an idea what I am doing and aiming for.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want the cheapest then get the SD Codefree
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
(or telephone: 01923 711511)
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. For the bulk discount on strips for the SD Codefree, you need to complete the order (check the boxes to confirm that you are diabetic and the number of packs that you want). Then click on view basket and on the left hand side of the window you will see two boxes .. Coupon Code and Apply Coupon. Enter the relevant discount code in the first box and then click the Apply Coupon box. This applies the discount and adjusts the price .. and finally, you then proceed to checkout.