Can anyone explain this please

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning my fasting BS was 6.3 which was high for me although the last few months it has been hovering around 6 instead of in the 5's which I don't like. I decided to take my BS 2 hours after I started my breakfast of Muesli which I make myself from oats and seeds and other things like nuts and goji berries and cocoa nibs etc + full fat yoghurt and almond milk which I make myself + a peach (I always allow myself a piece of fruit WITH a meal) and decaff coffee. This is probably the most carbs in a meal I have in a day. My BS 2 hours after was only 5.3 which I thought was very low.

Would anyone like to comment on this? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This morning my fasting BS was 6.3 which was high for me although the last few months it has been hovering around 6 instead of in the 5's which I don't like. I decided to take my BS 2 hours after I started my breakfast of Muesli which I make myself from oats and seeds and other things like nuts and goji berries and cocoa nibs etc + full fat yoghurt and almond milk which I make myself + a peach (I always allow myself a piece of fruit WITH a meal) and decaff coffee. This is probably the most carbs in a meal I have in a day. My BS 2 hours after was only 5.3 which I thought was very low.

Would anyone like to comment on this? Thanks
6.3 is not really that high, in fact it's just above normal reading for a fasting.
If it is slightly higher it will probably be your liver giving you a start in the morning. It's called dawn phenomenon,there have been plenty of threads on this.
5.3 is very good. You have no worries there. In fact you are getting really good numbers there.
Keep up the good work!
Normal fasting readings are between 3.6 and 6.0 mmols.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Either one of those readings could have been rogue readings. Did you re-test either of them? If I get a reading I'm not expecting, whether higher or lower, I always re-test to confirm matters. Because our meters are only accurate to within plus or minus 15%, we can never be sure we have a true reading.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 is good so no worries there. Aparrently your post meal readings are more important than your fasting reading anyway.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Either one of those readings could have been rogue readings. Did you re-test either of them? If I get a reading I'm not expecting, whether higher or lower, I always re-test to confirm matters. Because our meters are only accurate to within plus or minus 15%, we can never be sure we have a true reading.

The 6.3 was a retest as the first was 6.6! I had just opened a new tub of Freestyle lite. I never get 2 tubs giving me the same readings :( They really inaccurate and are only a guide. I do know about DP and I sleep badly. I do 2 hour sleep stints and then go to the bathroom because I am awake. I do go straight back to sleep for another 2 hours and this continues all night.

I will try to remember to test after 2 hours again and see if that 5.3 was a fluke!

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't get levels that low, but my post meal readings often dip or stay flat(tish) rather than rise 2 hours after (low carb) eating. I'm not quite sure why the dip happens but I'm happy about it... It generally happens after a highish pre meal reading, so I wonder if by my 2 hour test I've got rid of most of the glucose that's been floating around my system.:wideyed:

Robbity