Can anyone help with recipe ides?

IcedSnowflake

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So for the last few days my sugars have been rising again, despite being on Metformin, it looks like I need to scrap carbs altogether, but have no idea what I could eat in place. I'm not a huge salad fan, I do eat it, but become bored easily, I need food with flavour, ideas appreciated for breakfast, lunch & tea, even more so meals that can be pre cooked and heated up, or eaten cold as I work through my tea break at times. I am 19 weeks pregnant too, so can't eat certain foods x

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
maybe have a look through the what have you eaten today thread for some inspiration.

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have had to scrap carbs almost totally and get bored with what I can eat. I have a 2 egg omelette for breakfast, add different things e.g. cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, red or green peppers, onion and garlic as they are supposed to be god for diabetics, chopped ham or bacon but would still rather have my bran flakes! I have a lot of salads and stir fries. I buy the salad dips, the greek yoghurt type with very low carbs. I also have a lot of chicken; chicken salad would be good to take to work. Any meat, fish, cheese made as a stew with different beans as it can be heated in the microwave and the beans are very filling.

IcedSnowflake

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have had to scrap carbs almost totally and get bored with what I can eat. I have a 2 egg omelette for breakfast, add different things e.g. cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, red or green peppers, onion and garlic as they are supposed to be god for diabetics, chopped ham or bacon but would still rather have my bran flakes! I have a lot of salads and stir fries. I buy the salad dips, the greek yoghurt type with very low carbs. I also have a lot of chicken; chicken salad would be good to take to work. Any meat, fish, cheese made as a stew with different beans as it can be heated in the microwave and the beans are very filling.
Ah didn't think of stew! I eat omelettes as a rule for lunch, especially with peppers, I think I could switch to plain porridge for breakfast, but need more ideas for the main meals. I also didn't think about salad dips, just assumed they were a no go zone, so I'll look into them too, thank you Arab, appreciated x

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Soup is so easy, for a broccoli and stilton, I get a large pan chuck in a bag of frozen broccoli, cover with chicken stock, cook. then add stilton, to taste, maybe add some salt if you wish. Then I use a stick blender. Done.

Another one I make is Chicken and leek. I put a whole chicken in the pan, cover with chicken stock, cook. Then remove chicken to cool, add 2-3 leeks chopped up. I then pull the chicken apart and put some chopped up back into the soup, the rest I keep in the fridge for other bits or just nibbling.

Another one is cauliflower and butternut squash soup. Chuck in the pan a bag of frozen cauliflower, chop up a largeish butternut squash and add that, cover with chicken stock, maybe add some curry powder and cook till soft. Then blend with a stick blender. These are the easiest I make.

I batch these up into containers I can take to work and microwave for lunch, they also freeze really well.

Reactions: 2 people

emmarw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat what you would normally for a main meal, but theres some substitutions you can make- rather than rice with curry/chilli grate up some cauliflower (with a cheese grater) and microwave for 2 mins, eat sweet potatoes if you can't do without potatoes they have a lower GI. I make a lot of soups for lunch, just throw a load of veg in a pan, add stock cube and water, and cook until its all soft and then blend. I tend to bulk up meals with veg (but not root veg) so I still get the protean and nutrients, just fewer carbs, lentils are also a good substitute for me, rather than pasta.

Im 10 weeks pregnant and am having a hard time battling with my DSN about my low- moderate carb diet (100g per day)! they think I should be on minimum 200g per day. Is your medical team OK with you lowering your carbs?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a bit of zip add some Chorizo to your eggs, Lidl and Tesco do some good ones. Have to say I really like frozen spinach with garlic and boursin cheese, boil the frozen spinach till it thaws, sieve and press out the water, it holds a lot.... chop up the garlic and gently fry, don't let it burn, add spinach, warm up a bit and add the cheese.... roasted Brussels sprouts, cauliflower are big with us recently, smoked mackerel pate, add 75 g Philli and 35g creme fraise to three de-skined fillets and fork together, some pepper / horseradish sauce with some peppers/celery/cucumber.... Lidl do some Polish Potted Pork... zip carbs and just so tasty.... I have for lunch with celery and olives...

Go with soups, they are worth the effort and best home made.... most tins are really thin and poorly seasoned.