Type 1 Can anyone recommend a nutritionist ?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be grateful for any personal recommendations please! I have seen NHS nutritionist but feel as if it would be useful to see someone who really understands Type 1s. I believe low carb or ketogenic is the way to go but despite having stable blood sugars when fasting, it all goes wrong when I eat and/or exercise even if its proteins and green leafy veg (I consistently minimise carbs to avoid errors of counting etc.).
I am keen to get my funding for a replacement pump and need to show that my HBA1c has come down.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @NicoleC1971 If you are willing to pay then there are many private nutritionists out there, however be wary of their knowledge in regards to type 1 and insulin, personally I learn't about nutrition through trial and error, so by keeping a diary of what i've eaten and the BG result. It's not rocket science to be fair, I do pick up recipe books for inspiration and to keep my diet interesting but as I had the same experience as you with an NHS nutritionist who was all about the 'eatwell plate' which didn't suit me at all I decided to do my own research and it's less expensive than paying someone who may or may not know about type 1 and the relationship with management of insulin.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nicole,
I don't think it's a nutritionist you need really they won't help you with you insulin to carb ratio as everyone is different. Your DSN should help you with this. Have you been on a DAFNE course? This will help to fine tune your ratios.
Keep a diary, work out if the ratio is right and tweak it if not.
Exercise again is very individual, only you can work out the impact, for some it raises, for some it drops it.
It's bloody hard work and even though I've done all of the above, it's still changes all the time and for me what works one week doesn't always work the next.
Have a look at the low carb forum on here, I don't officially low carb, I'd say I'm a medium carber so I can't advise on that but there's lots of info.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note that anyone can call themselves a nutritionist no qualifications are necessary.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you sure you want to see a nutritionist? Apart from not being specifically qualified so many haven't a clue about nutrition. If you do see one and they spout the low-fat, low-salt, low-sugar mantra then run. You don't need low-fat or low-protein but do need low'ish carbs when on insulin (or even when not!) to avoid weight gain.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I would be grateful for any personal recommendations please! I have seen NHS nutritionist but feel as if it would be useful to see someone who really understands Type 1s. I believe low carb or ketogenic is the way to go but despite having stable blood sugars when fasting, it all goes wrong when I eat and/or exercise even if its proteins and green leafy veg (I consistently minimise carbs to avoid errors of counting etc.).
I am keen to get my funding for a replacement pump and need to show that my HBA1c has come down.
There do seem to be a lot of snake oil salesmen around. As a first step I think you should aim to understand nutrition yourself, with the objective of become an expert in you. If you still want to see a nutritionist afterwards at least you will be able to assess how far you should trust them. There is tons of stuff on line as well as the video links off here and diet doctor. I have been doing free on line courses and note the Science of Nutrition is a 4 week course 3 hours a week which begins in July. Meantime this may be of interest https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/living-well-with-diabetes

Reactions: Juicyj

AliceChatsworth

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi. Maybe have a look at Marty Kendall? He has a website called optimisingnutrition. His wife is type 1 and he has spent time trying to more accurately determine insulin requirements to keep blood sugar level and normal. He's not a nutritionist but has done a lot of work to balance nutrition with different eating approaches including low carb. He has some presentations on YouTube also

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Maybe have a look at Marty Kendall? He has a website called optimisingnutrition. His wife is type 1 and he has spent time trying to more accurately determine insulin requirements to keep blood sugar level and normal. He's not a nutritionist but has done a lot of work to balance nutrition with different eating approaches including low carb. He has some presentations on YouTube also
Thanks Alice! I will check out Marty on You Tube !

Reactions: AliceChatsworth

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There do seem to be a lot of snake oil salesmen around. As a first step I think you should aim to understand nutrition yourself, with the objective of become an expert in you. If you still want to see a nutritionist afterwards at least you will be able to assess how far you should trust them. There is tons of stuff on line as well as the video links off here and diet doctor. I have been doing free on line courses and note the Science of Nutrition is a 4 week course 3 hours a week which begins in July. Meantime this may be of interest https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/living-well-with-diabetes
Thank you . I did do a basic course in nutrition because a lifetime of diabetes has given me a healthy mistrust of 'experts'! So I agree with you and the other people who have suggested building your own expertise in yourself along with some basic knowledge!

Reactions: covknit