Can fainting before a blood test raise glucose levels?

Anna_4321

Hi,

I am 18 years old. I had a blood test done 6 months ago as I had been feeling nauseated in the mornings, blurry vision, hair loss, sensitivity to cold. As well as a decrease in sport performance.

Results came back as blood glucose levels of 7.5. Which suggested diabetes however my GP dismissed it, saying it was due to my glucose increasing/spiking in response to me fainting before my blood was drawn. Is this possible?

Results also showed I had a slight risk of developing hypothyroidism in close the future.

I had an oral glucose tolerance test done a week later and it came back normal, 5.3.

My mother had gestational diabetes with me, which later developed into type 1.

Is undiagnosed type 1 diabetes possible? Still feeling generally unwell.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Anna_4321, that's a difficult one to answer. In theory, yes, the body's response to a faint would include an adrenalin reaction, which can lead to raised glucose levels (and 7.3 isn't all that raised). Likewise, a 5.3 on the OGTT is not what you'd expect a T1 to show.

If you are really concerned about it, you can buy a meter from boots fairly cheaply with 10 test strips. Ideally you'd test your fasting glucose on getting up, as that would give you the best indicator if something was amiss.

The thing that stands out on your post though, was the commentary about Thyroid issues. I'd suggest that you should probably get both checked again as your tests were six months ago.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Anna_4321 :)

I second @tim2000s 's suggestion about a repeat of the thyroid test. I don't have thyroid issues and I'm not a medical professional, but I do remember that hair loss and sensitivity to the cold were both symptoms a family friend had before being diagnosed with thyroid problems. She's fine now :) It might not be that at all, but a follow up test sounds sensible.

I can understand you worrying about Type 1 because of your mum. Your 5.3 does look normal. That should reassure you.

For me, the first signs of Type 1 I got were a dreadful thirst and very frequent urination. Then I lost a lot of weight very quickly. This wasn't normal weight loss, it was quite shocking.

I'm not sure what other tests the doctor did. I presume you were tested for things like anaemia? If you continue to have problems and just don't feel right, it may help to keep a diary of your symptoms to see if you can spot any pattern eg with the nausea eg is it in response to certain foods, your hormones, eating breakfast late, etc.