Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I'm a firm believer that fish oils are beneficial to general health so would be interested to see the outcome of this study. The last 20 years I have taken a daily supplement and started taking it in liquid form around 12-18 months ago, and although this study is centred on type 2's I can honestly say that my feet are symptom free after 30 years of living with type 1 diabetes.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Only been Type 2 Diabetic for 14 yrs but I too have been taking the high strength 'Omacor' capsules for years since almost the day they were brought out. I get them prescribed on the NHS. 2g per day.

They seem to have done me a lot of good regarding my Cholesterol and Triglycerides so I am a convert. If it turns out they can have other benefits, that's even better. :)

Like Nigel, nothing wrong with my feet and have no problems at all. How much that is down to the Omacor or tight control of Bg levels is one of life's imponderables....... :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
How much that is down to the Omacor or tight control of Bg levels is one of life's imponderables....... :?

Probably a combination of them both Ken, tight bg does undoubtedly prevent/reduce nerve damage and fish oils are said to help boost blood circulation, so would like to think that they both work hand-in-hand. Normal bp is also a major factor in preventing damage to the extremities such as the feet.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Nigel.
I think you are spot on there.....a combination effect. :)

That's one of the things we keep banging on about here.......too much emphasis is put on just one aspect of Diabetes control, diet mainly, where really it all needs to be looked at holistically, an overview and a plan that helps all aspects of Diabetes and keeps those dreaded complications at bay.

I have to take BP pills after a heart op so my BP is well controlled, usually 110/70 most days. That too has almost certainly had a beneficial effect as well.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken how do you get Omacor on the NHS? I take high strength cod liver oil but I pay for my supplements myself .
CAROL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
carty said:
Ken how do you get Omacor on the NHS? I take high strength cod liver oil but I pay for my supplements myself .
CAROL

Hi Carol.
Happy New Year to you and yours ! :D

It was prescribed by my Endocrinologist way back in 2004 after my triple by-pass Heart Op. At that time Cholesterol and Trigs were high. So, I fitted the criteria which according to the BNF60 at present is this:

adjunct to diet and statin in type IIb or III hypertriglyceridaemia; adjunct to diet in type IV hypertriglyceridaemia; adjunct in secondary prevention in those who have had a myocardial infarction in the preceding 3 months

I hadn't actually HAD a MI but was at high risk so it is basically a preventative as well as therapeutic measure. I think Nigel had the same problem, his GP wouldn't provide it on scrip, you could just ask though, especially if you meet any part of the criteria above.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ken fortunately I ONLY have type 2 db and a not very sympathetic GP so I guess I will have to carry on spending the pension :!:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
I think Nigel had the same problem, his GP wouldn't provide it on scrip, you could just ask though, especially if you meet any part of the criteria above.

Yes your right Ken, I did ask about obtaining Omacor on prescription but was denied and told to take a high strength cod liver oil instead (sadly not on prescription). Apparently Omacor is only prescribed for patients that are at a high risk of cardiovascular disease or for those following a heart attack or surgery, as mine was for arthritis I wasn't eligible.

On reflection I should have pointed out that having diabetes puts myself in the danger category of cardiovascular disease, plus my late father had a triple bypass in his early sixties- so in effect I am in the at risk category, so may well mention this at some point! :)

Nigel

DazG

I read about this in the newspaper, would a mixed omega suppliment be the same type of fish oils that they are using in this trial?

I have been using them for a while, they smell and taste awful.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
DazG said:
I read about this in the newspaper, would a mixed omega suppliment be the same type of fish oils that they are using in this trial?

I have been using them for a while, they smell and taste awful.

There may well be some of the same type of oils used, however each brand uses a different measure of omega 3 fish oils which are more effective. Usually they are not so concentrated.

Omacor is a high strength Omega 3 product. It has no taste as it is comtained in a soft gel capsule. No smell either. It contains the following:

The active substances are omega-3 acid ethyl esters, 1g of omega-3-acid ethyl esters 90 comprising 460mg eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and 380 mg docosahexaeonic acid (DHA) ethyl esters (these substances are called omega-3- polyunsaturated fatty acids) including as an antioxidant 4 mg d-alpha-tocopherol.All mixed with a vegetable oil,such as soya-bean oil.

The soft capsule shell is made up of gelatin, glycerol and purified water.

In the case of omega-3, the short term benefits should be achieved if a minimum of 450mg of EPA and DHA collectively are delivered under the advised dosage regime.

If less than 450mg EPA/DHA is delivered then short term benefits are unlikely to be achieved and either augmentation of omega-3 from eating oily fish will be necessary to achieve short term benefits.

A longer period of supplementation at lower than 450mg per day may provide some accrued benefit.

My dose delivers 1680 mg of EPA/DHA combined each day.

You would need to check the ingredients of what you presently use to see if it gets anywhere near what Omacor has in it.

phraedus

Researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine have identified the molecular mechanism that makes omega-3 fatty acids so effective in reducing chronic inflammation and insulin resistance

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121049.htm

100902121049-large.jpg