Can I get better with work? Or is it too late?

I was told that I'm "pre pre diabetic" recently.

My blood sugar is healthy but my fasting insulin levels are high (73 H). I'm getting mixed messages here. Are the odds in my favor to get better with work? If I have a healthy diet, exercise, take medications, stay in contact with my doctor, and keep up with it all my life, will I get better?

I've already lost 11 pounds and my diet is pretty alright (could be better, working on it). I have a few other conditions that interact with it, mainly PCOS (which is also being treated at the moment). I have some other serious medical conditions so this isn't my first go in the rodeo, but it's still scary. I'm 18 years old. Are the odds in my favor?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the odds are in your favour. Most of us have never had a test of our insulin levels and high insulin is usually the very first sign that T2 is on its way. Reducing carbs will help reduce your insulin levels. Don't forget that this includes all carbs, complex ones as well as sugars. It's insulin that causes the weight gain so you are definitely on the right track now. Well done and welcome to the forum :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that I'm "pre pre diabetic" recently.

My blood sugar is healthy but my fasting insulin levels are high (73 H). I'm getting mixed messages here. Are the odds in my favor to get better with work? If I have a healthy diet, exercise, take medications, stay in contact with my doctor, and keep up with it all my life, will I get better?

I've already lost 11 pounds and my diet is pretty alright (could be better, working on it). I have a few other conditions that interact with it, mainly PCOS (which is also being treated at the moment). I have some other serious medical conditions so this isn't my first go in the rodeo, but it's still scary. I'm 18 years old. Are the odds in my favor?
You're catching it early, and you want to do something about it, so yeah... You're going to be alright. You'll have to stick with a low carb diet, but if you do, you'll be able to nip this in the bud. Check Dietdoctor.com, they've got some excellent advice for women with PCOS. I knew I had it, but not what it was. All the doc told me was that I wouldn't be able to have kids without hormone therapy and maybe ivf. So I just shrugged it off, because I don't want a kid anyway. (Too many very painful chronic and hereditary illnesses in my family. Not going to put a child through that, especially my own). The rest of that conversation was about other, at that time more pressing issues, as the PCOS was an accidental discovery while looking for something else. He never mentioned diabetes, insulin resistance or anything. My T2 could have been prevented if I'd just been given a tad bit more information. You DO have information, and therefor, power. It may not be easy at times, but hey... You really, really do NOT want T2. And if you want to have kids some day, the low carb thing will help there too. Good luck!

Reactions: zand and Serena51

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Definitely you can deal with the raised insulin levels, you have a doctor who is really on the ball so hang onto them. Keep up the exercise and drop as many carbs as you can and you will at least delay if not avoid T2. Remember life is for living so the occasional slip will not do harm but you are building good habits. Don't be scared, learn about your conditions and apply the knowledge then got out there and enjoy yourself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm sure you will be fine. BTW fasting blood tests are not very reliable due to the overnight glucose dump by the liver. Checking just before a meal and then 2 hours after will give more reliable results.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there. I'm 47 and was just diagnosed with type 2 on July 6th. I immediately went on a low-carb diet and meds. In three months my blood glucose has gone from 16.2 mmol to the 5-6 mmol range. The body has an amazing ability to heal itself. I think you'll be fine.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The short answer is, yes.

Dr Richard Bernstein is an inspiration to many: he was diagnosed Type 1 aged 12, and had severe complications by age 38, but with self-education and hard work, he reversed them all and marks his 84th birthday this year while still practising medicine.