Can I write to my GP to have less check ups?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this? I check my weight, blood sugar and blood pressure all the time and I would like yearly instead of 6 monthly check ups because I hate going and I have anxiety when they check my blood pressure so it just annoys me the way the act. I eat ahealthy diet and I am trying to get better from chronic fatigue syndrome if at all possible. my last hba1c was 42 and because it wasnt under 42 im still on as type 2 even though thats pre diabetes

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thanks, I will not be making a check up appointment just now anyway so thought I would send a letter to the only decent nurse I like up there so she gets the info she is way more understanding :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand... My blood pressure always goes through the roof... I hate it and feel for you

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its not just that I just hate how they make you feel in general and my mindset is all natural now days and they are always fear mongering me about flu vaccines and high blood pressure and I hate it all round lol. Its just in my particular health situation I feel comfortable having it once every year now I had my first hba1c in feb it was 58 and then couple months after that it was 42 and then i have been called back and im like no its too soon again for me

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Its not just that I just hate how they make you feel in general and my mindset is all natural now days and they are always fear mongering me about flu vaccines and high blood pressure and I hate it all round lol. Its just in my particular health situation I feel comfortable having it once every year now I had my first hba1c in feb it was 58 and then couple months after that it was 42 and then i have been called back and im like no its too soon again for me

I know a little of how you feel, lass. I am being hounded with text messages (and now a letter) about the flu jab as well as being mithered about statins on top of all the other stuff. At diagnosis the DN said "You will be sick of the sight of me soon" and my immediate thought was 'No I blummin won't! '.

I loathe being summonsed.

Reactions: pumas

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
lol totally bet alot are fed up, its good they care about us but it needs to be case by case a wee bit for me for my own experience if that makes sense :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
lol totally bet alot are fed up, its good they care about us but it needs to be case by case a wee bit for me for my own experience if that makes sense :)
It makes perfect sense. It would be a lot easier if the HCPs had the time and the expertise to treat the whole patient taking all conditions into consideration instead of treating a single condition and ignoring other illnesses. That scenario is a bit pie in the sky but still, it would be nice. Stay well.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
brilliant Sparrow well done! I will send the letter anyway I think, all they can do is moan i guess if they dont agree with what I want, of course if it went up next time I will adjust things at the time, but I really hope it wont as I watch my diet really well its hard work isnt it :) but worth it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
brilliant Sparrow well done! I will send the letter anyway I think, all they can do is moan i guess if they dont agree with what I want, of course if it went up next time I will adjust things at the time, but I really hope it wont as I watch my diet really well its hard work isnt it :) but worth it

I doubt they will moan for long ..... you are saving their time and money by asking for 12 month reviews.
My nurse has been nagging me for years to come off the diabetes register and move to annual blood tests ....... you may find they are relieved!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I know that I monitor my own condition well enough that I have avoided medication, that has been agreed with the doctor. The last time I saw the Dr we agreed that I would return for a check in October, which October was not specified. Since I regard the current phlebotomist at the surgery as incompetent (her testing has resulted in bruising sufficient to be able to trace the entire musculature of the lower arm and an enlarged blackened elbow), the DN pushes the line that T2 is either defined by ethnicity, genetics or by being overweight none of which applied to me and the eatwell plate. The Dr believes that my capillary circulation gives different bg results to my venal ( it may give differing oxygen levels but not bg although that may vary around the body at any one time depending on how recently food was eaten) and advised me to test once a week, I will make and keep my next appointment when I need assistance with my health. If my bg levels start creeping up I will seek help, my optician checks my eyes, and I have no problem with my feet. All the time I get fasting results of 4.7 - 5.3 with an increase of less than 2 across a meal I am happy that I have the condition under control. I consult the HCP when I need help, not necessarily when they dictate.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so im not the only one lol. Good to know. Yes I get the optician to check my eyes too i even called them to confirm they could do checks like that and they can

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the time to ask is when you get your 2nd good AC1 test result, as then you have proved you can keep it up.

Reactions: coleyd

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks ringi I guess I just dont feel the need to prove anything to them, I like to look after my health myself as much as possible if you know what I mean I just hate being monitored it stresses me out a bit and I need to keep my stress low, unless I was really struggling and then I would be more than happy to use the service :)

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this? I check my weight, blood sugar and blood pressure all the time and I would like yearly instead of 6 monthly check ups because I hate going and I have anxiety when they check my blood pressure so it just annoys me the way the act. I eat ahealthy diet and I am trying to get better from chronic fatigue syndrome if at all possible. my last hba1c was 42 and because it wasnt under 42 im still on as type 2 even though thats pre diabetes
The Way the GP practices are funded, the more monitoring, tests and prevention strategies the Practice provides its patients, the more its budget is boosted. They are incentivised to encourage patients to come in as often as possible, it boost revenue for them.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's your choice and the default from NICE etc is an annual check-up so just agree when the next one is when you see the DN

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
At my last review the DN told me that because I am 'non compliant' to their recommendations as to diet and meds that I would need to have a HbA1c and review every six months. So, when I got called in to have my flu jab, I asked the nurse to draw blood for my HbA1c and then waited patiently for the DN to ring or write with my appointment (this is the way it works at my GP's surgery). I never heard from her so I phoned up for the results and was told I didn't need a review after all.

Yes, I was very confused, too!

I don't mind the HbA1c - its the attitude of the DN at the review that bothers me so I'm hoping that I won't need a review next Spring.

If I were you I'd wait until they get in touch then ask if its really necessary - or could you just have the HbA1c and only have the review if there is a problem.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At my last review the DN told me that because I am 'non compliant' to their recommendations as to diet and meds that I would need to have a HbA1c and review every six months.

Interesting. I'm in America, and currently (happily) getting my A1C test every three months, soon likely to be switched to six months.

So if I moved to the UK and told the DN that I was controlling my T2 with low-carb diet alone and she could stuff her Eatwell plate you-know-where, I would be labelled "non-compliant" and rewarded with what I want, namely an A1C test at least every six months instead of once a year?

What a strange world we live in.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I recall correclty acording to NICE HbA1c starts at evey 3 months, then every 6 months once stable, then every 12 months if nothing is changing. They are looked at on the computer by the GP or DN and you may be called if if they are unexpected.

There is also meant to be a "face to face" review done every year that includes weight, waist measurement, eat well plate talk, drug review etc.

So in @Chook case, I expect the HbA1c was reasonble, so they decided you did not need a talking to about your 'non compliant' diet.

The above system results in GPs never learning what works, as they most get to talk to the peole with bad results....

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Considering that I had not had reason to see a doctor for over ten years and made an appointment myself to have an MOT expecting heart problems to be picked up (they run in both sides of the family) and found that I was just tipping over into T2D, I saw my new doctor more times than I wanted to in a short period of time. Now I have found what works for me, I do not appreciate being spoken to as if I was 6, nor being threatened with dire consequences if I do not comply. I am a reasonably intelligent adult who has successfully lived an independent life for a number of years and who has a reasonable knowledge about the way the body works. When I need help I will ask for it, but right now I dread getting a cold that goes to my chest and needing antibiotics to get rid of it. As I said earlier, I will ask for professional help when I need it, if that makes me 'non compliant' then so be it.