Can retinopathy clear up?

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been type 2 for 15 years, good control on LCHF diet and I take metformin. Last year at my screening the screener said immediately that she could see "a bit of background" in both eyes. This was after clear scans every year since 2004. This year I went for my screening and she said my eyes looked fine. Sure enough my letter came today saying no sign of any retinopathy. Can it just disappear? Incidentally I had my usual sight test last week and paid an extra £10 for an OTC scan which showed no problems at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The difference between "background retinopathy" and "no sign of retinopathy" can be very little. Hence it can just be pot luck on the day what shows up.

However, there are reported cases of full retinopathy showing greatly improving with much better BG control.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had background retinopathy one year and normal the next - though that was the year after diagnosis and the following test - I think it can occur and heal again.

Sjayh

Yup! I was told I was visually impaired.. now my vision is the best is has been in years.
Feel free to read it on my blog... araneljay.com drop a message if you need

Reactions: Perminder1

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi
I had laser treatment on one of my eyes over 20 years ago, I wore glasses for short sightedness for over 20 years until relatively recently. My control over past years has been awful . However 6 years ago I was forced to change so I did and stared taking regular blood etc etc, my eye checks have all come back saying slight changes but nothing to worry about . Plus I no longer need glasses , so eye problems like most complications with diabetes are related to good/ bad blood glucose levels.