1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can retinopathy clear up?

Discussion in 'Diabetic Retinopathy' started by KathrynB, Nov 13, 2019.

1. KathrynB

KathrynB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been type 2 for 15 years, good control on LCHF diet and I take metformin. Last year at my screening the screener said immediately that she could see "a bit of background" in both eyes. This was after clear scans every year since 2004. This year I went for my screening and she said my eyes looked fine. Sure enough my letter came today saying no sign of any retinopathy. Can it just disappear? Incidentally I had my usual sight test last week and paid an extra £10 for an OTC scan which showed no problems at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The difference between "background retinopathy" and "no sign of retinopathy" can be very little. Hence it can just be pot luck on the day what shows up.

However, there are reported cases of full retinopathy showing greatly improving with much better BG control.

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

#3 Rachox, Nov 13, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. KathrynB

KathrynB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I had background retinopathy one year and normal the next - though that was the year after diagnosis and the following test - I think it can occur and heal again.

6. Sjayh

Sjayh · Member

Yup! I was told I was visually impaired.. now my vision is the best is has been in years.
    Feel free to read it on my blog... araneljay.com drop a message if you need

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I had laser treatment on one of my eyes over 20 years ago, I wore glasses for short sightedness for over 20 years until relatively recently. My control over past years has been awful . However 6 years ago I was forced to change so I did and stared taking regular blood etc etc, my eye checks have all come back saying slight changes but nothing to worry about . Plus I no longer need glasses , so eye problems like most complications with diabetes are related to good/ bad blood glucose levels.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook