Can someone help me understand the units in the kwikPen

Sue&Jon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my husband has just recently been prescribed insulin, so this is all quite new to us. He is on Abasaglar & KwikPen 100 units. He is prescribed 20 units a day, so my simple maths means a pen that lasts 5 days. Am I right or wrong as the pen is lasting a lot longer ??? Thank you from Sue

Reactions: cdpm

jocksanon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"100 units" refers to the strength of insulin, typically 100 units/ml. It does not refer to the volume of insulin in the pen.

Reactions: Sue&Jon

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The insulin is 100ui/ml which means you get 100 units per ml, however the cartridges are 3ml in size therefore the cartridges hold 300 units.

Obviously you also need to do airshots to check it anyways, so you wouldn't divide the number of units in the cartridge by 20 anyways, but it'll be fairly close - probably about 13/14 days give or take

Reactions: cdpm and Sue&Jon

Sue&Jon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thank you so much, that is very helpful, I understand it more now, I was being too simplistic before. I really appreciate you answering my question
The insulin is 100ui/ml which means you get 100 units per ml, however the cartridges are 3ml in size therefore the cartridges hold 300 units.

Obviously you also need to do airshots to check it anyways, so you wouldn't divide the number of units in the cartridge by 20 anyways, but it'll be fairly close - probably about 13/14 days give or take