Can stress affect your Diabetes?

Lisa5

Hi everyone,
I've been suffering with long term stress in work and private life. My adrenaline is running high and I was wondering how-if at all- this could impact my blood sugars? ( when I'm stressed I know I eat rubbish)

Also why does tour BMs rise when your ill?

Also can anyone joined the low carb programme please?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, stress definitely sends your blood sugar levels up. Mine go up whenever I have a hospital or dental appointment, in the past whenever I had an exam, when I was moving house, when I had to give a presentation at work etc. Anything you are stressed or anxious about sends levels up.
Basically, if your brain is viewing the situation as am emergency, it will cause your liver to supply extra glucose from storage to give you the extra energy for physical activity. These days, however, a lot of what we are anxious sbout cannot be sorted out by a quick burst of running or a fight, so if we can't produce extra insulin to deal with the extra glucose, our kevels end up higher as a result. Hope this is helpful.
I've no experience of the Low Carb programme personally.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stress and illness can raise blood sugars.
Our bodies notice the stress and send a message to our livers to release glucose to provide the energy to fight the illness and deal with the stress.

Reactions: Lisa5

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With regards to the Low Carb Program, yes anyone can join, there is a fee £14.99 per month or £69.99 for a year.
However if a GP or other Health Care Professional feels it would be of benefit for you they can prescribe it by providing a code for you to register for free.
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

Edit for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and Lisa5

Donsman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels went up when I was stressed at work for sure. Took the decision to retire early and stop working Although that presented a financial challenge and still does, better that than risking your health

D

Deleted member 543160

Yes both short and long term stress can affect our glucose levels. And as already mentioned other issues such illness, pain, some medications... etc, also affect our glucose levels. it's just nature's way of preparing us to deal with different or difficult (fight or flight!) situations. So it's not just what we eat that might cause a rise.

I was already eating a low carb/ketogenic diet well before the Low Carb Programme was introduced, otherwise I might have considered giving it a try. I think it's a useful tool for people wanting or preferring a more structured introduction to lower carb eating.

Reactions: Lisa5

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Definitely I would say it does. As soon as I de stress or try to, it will jump back down to a normal (for me) level.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As others said yes it can have a negative impact on blood glucose levels.

Personally I am a believer that some stress is beneficial as it boosts our immunity, sharpens our cognitive thinking and keeps us focussed, however long term stress is not good and living with it daily is unhealthy, so trying to pinpoint the cause of stress and looking at ways of managing it are vital. Things I do when I find it's impacting me negatively are exercise, meditation, good sleep patterns, healthy diet, reducing alcohol intake, all help me manage and cope better with stressful situations. Personally I don't believe in avoiding stress as it's virtually impossible to do so or taking medication, but being mindful of it and it's affects on our blood glucose levels so we can cope better with it.