Can stress increase BG!?

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone...I was diagnosed type2 (diet controlled) in june so am just getting to grips with everything! I had a bpit of food poisoning over last weekend and was unwell until Wednesday. Subsequently I wasn't eating and mainly drinking water. On Thursday morning my out of bed reading was 2.3!!

I've slowly been reintroducing food but to be honest I have really lost my appetite. I was told on Wednesday that my job is at risk of redundancy so you can imagine the strain this has put me under.

Thinking back on today all I have eaten is about 7 prawns with dry slim crackers all of which I have eaten before with no effect and this was eaten at lunchtime.

I have just taken a reading before bed and its at 18.9!! I can't put this down to anything I've eaten (as above) or drank as all I've had this evening is water... :(

Any advice...!?

Thanks x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Morganator

Stress certainly affects my levels, I am primary carer for my Mum WHO has dementia and when she is having a bad period my sugars go off the scale. My nurse says this is a common reaction and to take as much help as I can get.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it most certainly can. The work I do is extremely stressful and that combined with having to deal with both my parents dying within a few weeks of each other last year (one from cancer, the other from Alzheimer's, both diabetic) is almost certainly what let to my moving from glucose intolerent (a condition I had under control for nearly 7 years) to fully diabetic.

Blubee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ignorance
I am recently diagnosed type 2 also. Managing quite well with just diet changes etc. I too had a fright the other morning when my BG was 18.2 when I woke up after a very stressful day previously. I had never had such a high reading and it did scare me a bit. I guess that stress really does affect BG quite badly. I managed to get it down to 7.2 by going for a long walk. (the last thing I felt like doing tbh!) So don't worry, and try to avoid the stress (easier said than done sometimes I know) if possible.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, i have found that a good bit of exercise is actually good not only for the BG, but also for the perceived stress levels too, even if you can only manage a 20minute brisk walk it helps.

Sameer

I am also suffering from stress increase of daibetes !!

Setting my dose .....on novomix 30 !!!
Currently morning 10 units and before dinner 14 units
Will stick to this !!!
Sent using Ipad .

j4ckwales

Stress is hugely important in T2 Diabetes! Prolonged stress results in excessive levels of the stress hormone cortisol staying in the body longer....cortisol interferes with your insulin metabolism and actually directs the body to lay down fat accross your middle.. the spare tyre!!! You need regular periods of relaxation to allow the time to metabolise that excess cortisol out of the body...think about it like climbing a mountain and going down the other side and having a rest before starting another climb! Try Yoga, guided meditation, relaxation classes, hypnosis etc. Exercise is brilliant at helping this along, so a brisk walk....energetic house cleaning, your favourite sport or a trip to the gym will all help. The seratonin produced during exercise is your brain's mood booster too! Hope this helps :)

sarahg0810

I have to say that, since being diagnosed type 2 earlier this year, I have found a trip to the gym a great stress buster!!!! I can take out all my frustrations on the cardio machines and then chill out in the swimming pool!!! It definitely does wonders for the body too!! Xx

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for replying...I'm currently going through redundancy as well as the diagnoses and getting to grips with diabetes. And to add to it all my 14 year old retriever who I've had since he was 8 weeks is getting to the end...all mostly manageable on their own but combine them...some days I feel like my head is going to explode!! :?

lolaabels

I think some bad habits may make more stressed. But I don’t stress increase BG or not. It may appear that there’s not anything you can do about stress. Stress management starts with identifying the sources of stress. In my essay on stress management, I try to talk about some healthy ways to manage and cope with stress, but they all require change. You can either change the situation or change your reaction.