Can you bring down high sugars?

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Hi. Last year i was going to the gym 5 times a week for 8 months. I only stopped coz i got diagnosed T2 and 27.2 high. I was told it would be dangerous to carry on and to stop until it was under control. It pretty much is now and i want to go back. The thing is , I'm scared. I can take glucotabs if i go low but what do i do if it goes high? My routine was always walk 2 miles to the gym or to swim. Spend an hour there then walk the 2 miles home. I haven't been since November and know i cant just pick up where i left off. It is going high that really worries me. Any sugestions please.

WhitbyJet

Mistee - dont exercise if bg levels are over 13 - otherweise if you have good control over your diabetes and have good bg levels exercise will be beneficial, doesnt have to be strenuous, any movement is good and better than doing nothing.

Be careful though, you are only just recovering from a gallbladder operation, you shouldnt be going to the gym just yet. But walking should be ok, as you say you are a bit out of practice so my advice would be that you start off slowly and build up from there.

All the best to you x

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I am getting ahead of my self i know but i want to prepare myself mentally as well as physically. Sunday is going to be my first proper day out for 3 months so even have to build back up to my usual walks. I might not even be able to do that yet as i think i got chronic pancreatitis again. Diarrhea, sulpher belching and the pain. Have to play it by ear. Thanks for the info though :D

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Mistee

Just wanted to add something (not about the gym though-not my territory! :shock: ).

Regarding the gallbladder post op. I am a tough cookie generally but I took a lot longer to get over this surgery than I expected, I also had some very "odd" psychological effects, possibly down to the anaesthetic.

The pain means you have to take thing slowly as WJ has suggested but regarding the runny tum..well.. :oops:. We are all friends here (mostly) so I have to be truthful and say that I have had this stomach problem a heck of a lot since the op three years ago. In fact it has been on a daily basis at one point and I found I had to be very watchful of what i ate and drank.

Bread was a major culprit (pre-diabetes diagnosis), also coffee. One sip in the morning and I literally had to dive to the loo it was that bad. If I could suggest keeping a food diary for a week, that might help. Obviously fatty foods are to be avoided but keep an eye on what seems to make it worse, you may be surprised at what can cause the runs!

For all that (and I believe it is directly connected to the op), I don't regret it for a second. I was absolute agony before and the relief I felt at having no acute pain afterwards was brilliant. :)