Can you lose weight on metformin ?

Sugarlisa

10 days starts on metformin can you lose weight while your take it or do u gain on it ?

Tea tonight is jambalaya make with brown rice

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't believe it really affects your weight, as long as you continue to eat the same things. However, for the week I was taking it, I found it to be quite an effective appetite suppressant. I was still eating meals (including breakfast, which I'd often skip, but needed to have food to take the metformin) but I wasn't snacking at all. Once I stopped taking it, my urge for pork crunch and dark chocolate bars between meals, came back. That's probably why I haven't lost weight, since.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take one tablet a day and at first I did find it reduced my appetite which has helped with weight loss.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10 days starts on metformin can you lose weight while your take it or do u gain on it ?

Tea tonight is jambalaya make with brown rice
Most people seem to lose some of their appetite it didn't effect mine ( I do have a large appetite ) the only think it did / does for me is give me the metformin trots :rolleyes:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find Metformin helps with weight loss as it helps combat insulin resistance. You still have to do the work and eat the right things but I lose weight more easily when I take metformin. I don't find it makes much difference to my BGs.

Sugarlisa

I find Metformin helps with weight loss as it helps combat insulin resistance. You still have to do the work and eat the right things but I lose weight more easily when I take metformin. I don't find it makes much difference to my BGs.

It’s early days for me

Sugarlisa

Most people seem to lose some of their appetite it didn't effect mine ( I do have a large appetite ) the only think it did / does for me is give me the metformin trots :rolleyes:

Since starting the tablets I’ve only getting blotting feeling and eating meals but not completely clear the plate

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It doesn't directly cause weight loss but does reduce your appetite a bit. If you do need to lose weight you need to adopt a low-carb lifestyle. Fats and Proteins are fine but keep the carbs down.