Type 2 Can you request a HBA1C TEST

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 working on the lowcarb high fat regime. I have an underactive thyroid and so have difficulty losing
weight but i did working with lchf. I slipped back for awhile and got the flu/viral thing in April. My HBA1C came
back as 53 i have 2 related questions. 1. is it possible to ask for another HBA1C test or do they limit you to one
per year. 2. My blood sugar readings are usually in the high 6's sometimes 7's i am due to see a new Diabetic
Nurse soon if taking Metformin was suggested would it be good long term to take to lower blood sugar a little, or
should i try and persevere with no medication for Diabetes Type 2. I was laid low in April by the flu/viral thing
which left me with severe Sinusitis so i thought if i could ask for another HBA1C as i am not sure if illness does
make a difference with that test.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HbA1cs should never be as far apart as yearly according to NICE see paragraph 1.6 here:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#hba1c-measurement-and-targets
It isn’t really worth having them more frequently than 3 monthly as it is a representation of your average sugars over the last three months.
I’m stable but my nurse has agreed to the NICE recommendation of six monthly. In your position I would think that 3 monthly would be suitable just now as your not fitting into the stable category right now and also considering meds.

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you i will ask for a 3 monthly check not sure if DN will suggest metformin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it depends on how your GP surgery works - mine has recently amalgamated with several other practices and it has all gone to pot.
Having got to normal levels of Hba1c I think I am under the radar but I am pushing for a yearly testing.