Type 1 Can your Pancreas produce too much insulin

Shaz1208

Hi. My 11 yr old son is 2 weeks post diagnosis of T1. It was picked up very early and as such he isn’t on insulin unless levels get too high. Some days his levels don’t go above 5 even after big meal. Other days it in the late teens with the same food types. Is it possible that because of his pancreas not working properly it is producing too much insulin?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
He's just diagnosed so probably the 'honeymoon period. He will be making insulin, which is sent out sporadically and sometimes unexpectedly. So not really making too much, just being unreliable and unpredictable.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My 11 yr old son is 2 weeks post diagnosis of T1. It was picked up very early and as such he isn’t on insulin unless levels get too high. Some days his levels don’t go above 5 even after big meal. Other days it in the late teens with the same food types. Is it possible that because of his pancreas not working properly it is producing too much insulin?

Hi @Shaz1208 ,

Is your son not taking insulin at all during these periods? Or does he just take a background dose, but no need to bolus (fast acting.) for meals??

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shaz1208 its not possible that a type 1 pancreas is producing too much insulin. It might be producing a normal amount of insulin on an erratic basis. So some days it might produce the right amount of insulin perfectly, all day, other days it might produce the right amount of insulin, but it might do this a bit slowly or too late to deal with what is eaten, on other days it might just not be able to produce enough. There aren't any days when it will produce too much. Not going above 5 after a big meal isn't an indication of too much insulin being produced, that's just a day when the pancreas is producing the right amount of insulin at the right time.

Do clarify whether your son is on no insulin or just basal insulin as requested by @Jaylee because if he is on basal there may be some tests and adjustments to make dealing with an erratic honeymoon a bit smoother.

Reactions: Shaz1208

Shaz1208

Hi. He isn’t in novarapid before meals and only has the basal three days a week when he isn’t training. He has 0.5 three morning a week.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. He isn’t in novarapid before meals and only has the basal three days a week when he isn’t training. He has 0.5 three morning a week.
Hi. Sounds very much like the Honeymoon period; just keep testing as I'm sure you do.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's the Honeymoon Period and should be over soon. That way the pancreas can STOP unfortunately when it ends. So try to keep giving him insulin.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I think it's the Honeymoon Period and should be over soon. That way the pancreas can STOP unfortunately when it ends. So try to keep giving him insulin.

The honeymoon phase is different for every one some can last up to a year - what is vitally important is to keep a regular dialogue with his nurse so that adjustments can be reviewed with confidence - if you can keep a diary to record patterns with bg readings :)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a late onset type 1 (in my 40s), but also in the honeymoon period. I had 1 week where I took nothing but a reduced dose of background insulin and my BG levels were great - only to shoot up the following week. Test, test and test some more was the consultants advice.