Canadian Diebetes. can you believe this

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I had 75 carbs for lunch, 800 calories. Took 18 units NovoRapidt before eating. I expect BG to be in the 7 range in 2 hrs.
It is interesting how many doctors and nurses don't understand diabetes. I had a beautiful nurse come into my room to inject my Lantus while in the hospital. She checked my BG and it was around 5 She 5hen informed me she wasn't going to inject the Lantus. I explained that you always inject the long term insulin which is your base line insulin. It doesn't really take effect for a couple hours so we can check the BG then and react accordingly. She was thankful that I explained it to her.
My new doctor told me only to check BG before bed. I also had to set him straight. Now we are on the same page.
My Diabetes Care people are on the ball with the latest info. They a young RNs specifically trained in diabetes care Very refreshing dealing with them.
In Canada if you are on insulin you get 3000 test strips a year on the senior plan. On Metformin 200 and Glicide another 200. That is a very good reason for going on insulin alone.
I'm glad I don't have to count carbs or calories. Or stab my finger 3000 times a year. I agree that many doctors and nurses don't understand diabetes. My diabetes nurse once told me I should eat oatmeal instead of bacon and eggs for breakfast! That's just crazy talk! Must be some form of job security for her.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't talk about body fat, but fat on the organs - a different kettle of diabetic fish, as it were. And why it's about fat storage pathways in the body, which can include fat we can see on the outside, but not necessarily. Absolutely why you can have slim T2 diabetics.

You'll never hear me talk about T2D coming from overeating! Or hear a whisper from me about portion control. (Except for me when it comes to fruit :(. Due to my poor ol pancreas and liver being too far gone.) I am a hearty eater - and it wouldn't have been a killer for me if I had known about carbohydrates, and insulin resistance, and I hadn't actually paid attention to the healthy plate model when I planned my meals for me and my children! Grrrrrr! (The grrrr is to the healthy plate model - not you! :).)

I don't know about an immune tracking system, and its relation to T2D. Explain? Diagrams are good!

(I hope your friends enjoy themselves in Aotearoa. Remind them it's an el nino summer this year, so pack an umbrella!)
Their son immigrated to NZ years ago. Having their 1st child. These people just got back from Florida and will be in NZ for a month. The wife is T2 .

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad I don't have to count carbs or calories. Or stab my finger 3000 times a year. I agree that many doctors and nurses don't understand diabetes. My diabetes nurse once told me I should eat oatmeal instead of bacon and eggs for breakfast! That's just crazy talk! Must be some form of job security for her.
I use 1500 or so a year. Doesn't bother me at all I have tried almost every BG monitor on the market .
I don't eat breakfast often.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
... be in NZ for a month. The wife is T2 .

Lots of diabetics in NZ! Lots of understanding of having the condition, and the great variety in treatment methods that we are discussing in here.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I prefer not to be diabetic but I am and insulin is a God send for all diabetics.

Let's face it. That's hardly true.

Maybe I and others who control by diet are just pretendy-diabetics..............

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
...I agree that many doctors and nurses don't understand diabetes. My diabetes nurse once told me I should eat oatmeal instead of bacon and eggs for breakfast! That's just crazy talk! Must be some form of job security for her.

I truly believe they just don't know! And can we blame them? (OK OK - yeah! Sometimes! :):D.) They get that healthy plate model ****, and as we know - it gets really confusing and doesn't make sense and they remember some of it and the big bits that don't make sense (like - why would animal fat kill us??!!! And 1/4 plate of carbs every meal for diabetics be great???!!) - so they come out with some **** like that, to desperately try and make it make sense, is what I think. Why I was very sympathetic to my poor deluded but well-meaning GP in Sweden who told me not to eat dead pig. You know - cause of the heart-killing fat content! Good grief. (My cholesterol level.) Nothing about bread - oh no. (Don't! Besmirch! The bread!)

But imagine what it must be like for them - getting those ridiculous diet guidelines and trying to make sense of it enough to pass along something meaningful to us in their offices? Sweden is a bit better than most - because they at least acknowledge and agree with LCHF as a bona fide method of treatment and diet. But a doctor (Anna Dahlqvist) had to do battle for two years to get that in. Good on them for admitting the facts about healthy fats though. (Which is more than poor ol' NZ can do right now.) (We have fabulous fresh produce all year round to make up for it though? lol.) (Not to mention fabulous grass-fed dead animals to eat, and sea food and...)

We are lucky to get such an international perspective, though, due to the internet.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I truly believe they just don't know! And can we blame them? (OK OK - yeah! Sometimes! :):D.) They get that healthy plate model ****, and as we know - it gets really confusing and doesn't make sense and they remember some of it and the big bits that don't make sense (like - why would animal fat kill us??!!! And 1/4 plate of carbs every meal for diabetics be great???!!) - so they come out with some **** like that, to desperately try and make it make sense, is what I think. Why I was very sympathetic to my poor deluded but well-meaning GP in Sweden who told me not to eat dead pig. You know - cause of the heart-killing fat content! Good grief. (My cholesterol level.) Nothing about bread - oh no. (Don't! Besmirch! The bread!)

But imagine what it must be like for them - getting those ridiculous diet guidelines and trying to make sense of it enough to pass along something meaningful to us in their offices? Sweden is a bit better than most - because they at least acknowledge and agree with LCHF as a bona fide method of treatment and diet. But a doctor (Anna Dahlqvist) had to do battle for two years to get that in. Good on them for admitting the facts about healthy fats though. (Which is more than poor ol' NZ can do right now.) (We have fabulous fresh produce all year round to make up for it though? lol.) (Not to mention fabulous grass-fed dead animals to eat, and sea food and...)

We are lucky to get such an international perspective, though, due to the internet.

It's strange, though, that even when they see patients who reverse their diabetes, they don't get it. I tell my diabetes nurse what I eat and I don't think she gets that the way I eat is why I don't have diabetes any more. And, of course, it must be frustrating when your patients get progressively worse despite all the advice you give them. They must think most patients ignore their advice and lie about it.

Tarabas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
then the cells resist the insulin, as high insulin is toxic to our cells - adding insulin will never make you better! As T2D is your body's response to an originally toxic situation

First time ever I read this: toxic? Do you have any source of this for me?

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's face it. That's hardly true.

Maybe I and others who control by diet are just pretendy-diabetics..............
I used to control BG with diet and then pills and now pills and insulin. You can only pretend for so long and the body will let you know.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange, though, that even when they see patients who reverse their diabetes, they don't get it. I tell my diabetes nurse what I eat and I don't think she gets that the way I eat is why I don't have diabetes any more. And, of course, it must be frustrating when your patients get progressively worse despite all the advice you give them. They must think most patients ignore their advice and lie about it.
Reverse diabetes or control BG? What happens if you eat a high care or sugar meal?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I used to control BG with diet and then pills and now pills and insulin. You can only pretend for so long and the body will let you know.

Did you follow your health care providers' dietary recommendations? i.e. the Canada food guide? Lots of whole grain bread/pasta, oatmeal, fruit, starchy veg, margarine, a bit of lean meat?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Reverse diabetes or control BG? What happens if you eat a high care or sugar meal?

The last time I tried that was a year ago and my blood glucose went up a bit, peaked about 45 minutes after eating, then by 2 hours was normal again.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you follow your health care providers' dietary recommendations? i.e. the Canada food guide? Lots of whole grain bread/pasta, oatmeal, fruit, starchy veg, margarine, a bit of lean meat?
In a word no but my diet was usually very good according to my blood tests.
I've had blood tests every 3 to 4 months for 30 years+ . Everything was great including kidney function, cholesteral etc. I have an appointment on Monday to go over my Jan 8 tests which I already have on my phone. They are posted within a few hours. Results are great again.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The last time I tried that was a year ago and my blood glucose went up a bit, peaked about 45 minutes after eating, then by 2 hours was normal again.
To me that says you don't have diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you know what. I can eat 1/2 pound of liquorice now and only go up to 9mmol/l.. So that is pretty normal. So reversed and not just controlled. No pills or insulin for me. Do you think that would be the case if I was following standard food guidelines from diagnosis?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
In a word no but my diet was usually very good according to my blood tests.
I've had blood tests every 3 to 4 months for 30 years+ . Everything was great including kidney function, cholesteral etc. I have an appointment on Monday to go over my Jan 8 tests which I already have on my phone. They are posted within a few hours. Results are great again.

So what kind of diet did you follow to control your diabetes?