Candarel and other low Cal sweeteners

Sadjers

Hi, While I've been a type 1 for 40plus years, I've always assumed that Candarel sweetener type products were zero carbs. I've just read the labels and they are actually 100%, gram for gram carbs.
I can't figure out how I've gone so long without noticing the impact on my blood suger. I guess I'd blamed the other foods.

Does anyone know of similar sweetener products which are actually zero carbs? I want to make cakes!

Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always assumed that Candarel sweetener type products were zero carbs. I've just read the labels and they are actually 100%, gram for gram carbs.
They are polyols, which shouldn't affect BG even though they're technically a carb.

Are you sure it isn't the flour in the cake that makes you rise?

Sadjers

I've been trying a ketogenic diet for the past couple of months. It's improved my sugar levels so much. My HBA1C is now 43. I've learnt to cook so many delicious things too.
Yesterday, I made a coconut and almond flour sponge with chocolate butter icing and caramel butter cream filling. It's heavily sweetened with candarel.
I wanted to count the net carbs and worked out that (excluding the candarel), the four inch diameter cake is (was) 12g.
If I include the candarel, it would be about 72g.
I went low yesterday after taking insulin for the candarel. Doh!

I count 30% of the weight for carbs in cheese but then delay it by 8/10 hours. This works well for me in the evening. I think there is a tonne of butter in this cake. Lol.

Thanks for the information on the poly-whatsits, I clearly need to research this subject. View attachment 60121
20230401_095536.jpg

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Candarel is made from sucralose (sugar) but it is altered so that the body does not absorb it. so it has carbs, but those carbs do not convert to glucose in the blood. So I would ignore it when carb counting. I use sucralose sweeteners and my BS levels are good.

Note: some artificial sweeteners still trigge an insulin response even though they do not raise glucose. So if your problem is Insulin Resistance, or hyperinsulinemia then those sweeteners need to be avoided. following a low carb diet will tackle the IR and so I can now use them, but I was making my IR worse before I went low carb.

Reactions: Sadjers

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are polyols, which shouldn't affect BG even though they're technically a carb.
That depends which polyol it is. They do not all have the same effect due to the way they are or are not digested and where that might occur. I can 100% say maltitol raises my levels the way sugar does, and it doesn’t take a lot to upset my stomach either.

@Sadjers these might explain more

Attachments

• F685C59A-CE7F-45FB-8371-141BA49C224B.jpeg
    F685C59A-CE7F-45FB-8371-141BA49C224B.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 122

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After i was diagnosed with T2 and eating a low carb diet, I wanted to carry on baking occasionally and so did some research on alternative sweeteners, and decided on erythritol and stevia, and use them either in combination or individually both for baking and sweetening in general. I have no issues with either of them.

And from that photo, I really fancy a piece of your cake! :hungry::hungry::hungry:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't seem to have a bg issue with any sweetners I've tried so far - but that is (I think) limited to stevia, sucralose, and aspartame.

• Informative
Reactions: Sadjers and Antje77