Canned soup!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm shocked! I usually make my own soup but last lot ran out last night and I was too hungry to wait after coming in from walking the dog, so had a tin of Heinz Chicken and Sweetcorn soup.
I was 11.7 before the walk, and 17.7 aound 2 hours after the soup! It was 25 carbs a tin, and I've about a dozen tins of various flavours that I bought before joining here. I think I'd best look for the local food bank to donate them, can't see me risking those numbers again!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm shocked! I usually make my own soup but last lot ran out last night and I was too hungry to wait after coming in from walking the dog, so had a tin of Heinz Chicken and Sweetcorn soup.
I was 11.7 before the walk, and 17.7 aound 2 hours after the soup! It was 25 carbs a tin, and I've about a dozen tins of various flavours that I bought before joining here. I think I'd best look for the local food bank to donate them, can't see me risking those numbers again!

There's normally wheat/gluten,potato starch, sugars in these soups. We have to be so careful :eek:

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, tinned soup isn't wise without first checking the label. Far too much flour and very often potatoes. Sweetcorn isn't a wise choice either! Shame because as you say, it is always a handy quick meal.

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have researched the Heinz Range quite extensively and half a can is the most you should have. Cream of chicken is your best bet. 9.3g of carb per half a tin.

Reactions: 5 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had sweetcorn quite often over the last couple of weeks, I'm fine with it, Must be all the flour etc :( I looked at the carbs and thought 25g for a lunch isn't too bad, but I suppose they're bad carbs like bread. Oh well, another lesson learned! I much prefer my own soup anyway :)
And I've just been in the kitchen making a new pan of sweet potato, butternut squash, celeriac and barley soup. Will add lentils or chickpeas later :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have researched the Heinz Range quite extensively and half a can is the most you should have. Cream of chicken is your best bet. 9.3g of carb per half a tin.

I cant eat many of the soups because I'm Coeliac, but I have home made spinach, cabbage, mushroom, carrott, and onion soup in the freezer, colour is not so pleasing on the eye, but the taste is lovely :hungry:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my homemade French Onion this lunch time. Delicious and packed with onions, not like the tinned varieties.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes I know, my soups are usually a sludgy brown but taste gorgeous! This one is a nice golden yellow at the moment so I might use chickpeas instead of the green lentils, they're usually the culprit! lol!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Onion soup for me screams out for fresh crusty white bread, so I'm not having that for a while ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@rowan, make your own in a big batch and freeze some, that way you can control what goes in the soup.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pretending that all the chunky veg in miine make up for no bread..

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmmm I don't know what they've done to their soup.
But I used to love their mulligatawny soup.
Then they changed something about 6 months or a year ago.
Rebranded New recipe or something.
Since then I couldn't eat them, there's something not nice in there now.
I don't know whether it's palm oil or something worse, if there is anything worse.
But I think they did something that destroyed their product.
Which seems to be the way of the world these days.

I've found the more fresh home-cooked food I eat the worse any processed food I might have tastes. I used to love the chicken and sweetcorn soup but today while I was eating it I was thinking it didn't taste as nice as usual. Not a bad thing though ;)

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Onion soup for me screams out for fresh crusty white bread, so I'm not having that for a while ;)
Cheese on top, quick grill. I've liked that ever since we read a novel at school about a whiskery old man eating onion soup with melted cheese on top, and the stringy cheese stuck in his moustache.

Reactions: 4 people

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually make a big pot of vegetable soup a couple of times a week. My husband, who is very sick, can only take liquids now and was brought up on soup made by his mother in the good old days - before tinned soup and before any welfare system supported poor families. So - soup it is. I used to put potatoes and other root veggies in but since I am now trying to go low carb I am using lower carb veg. When mealtime comes around I strain out the liquor and feed it to him in a feeder cup (so it has to be a thin broth) and I have a relatively dry vegetable stew. I can eat this without bread but I do need 2 bowls at a sitting to feel reasonably satisfied.

Today I ran out of soup or the makings of a pot of soup and had a tin of oxtail soup in the cupboard, so I strained this out and gave it to my husband but I thought it tasted awful - nothing like the oxtail that I make on the odd occasion. He wouldn't have anything to do with it and ended up with some Procal and an Ensure plus pudding instead. I dug some pork ribs out of the freezer and roasted those off for me - feeling a bit sick right now - too fatty.

Back to the drawing board then, just as soon as I can get into a shop (we live 7 miles from the nearest town and I've managed to sprain a cruciate ligament so driving and walking are severely restricted for now). When I get some vegetables, is it allright to put in lentils, peas etc and still think it low carb? And how about bouillon powder which is recommended by the dietician? (I may have to used something in the absence of sufficient vegetables to make a stock.)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb Sorry to hear about your husband but you've come up with a good compromise for you both soupwise! I use lentils with discretion and test. Cooked to stay whole they are better than mashed. Peas are dodgy but not impossible. Stock cubes generally frighten me because of the chemical ingredients as much as any lurking carbs but I do use an organic low-salt chicken one.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The stock powder I have in the cupboard is an organic vegetable one, so minimum chemicals, I hope. Since we are now virtually living on vegetable soup (2 meals a day) I'm concerned about a lack of protein - hence the question about pulses. I think I'll have to chance it. I don't think it matters too much to my husband - it's just a question of keeping him comfortable until the end, but if I'm low carbing and not taking much fat (no gall bladder), I don't think low protein as well is a very good idea. There's always breakfast, of course.

I may be on a losing wicket here anyway - looking back I have had problems with sugars (and tested for a reason, although nobody seems to have thought about diabetes) since the late 1970's but was only diagnosed in 2005, when I started testing after going to the doctor and asking "Am I diabetic?". Then I was put onto Metformin, which never has agreed with my digestive system, and when I went to have .a colonoscopy in 2006 I was taken off of it and put onto insulin, since when my blood sugar levels have never been under control - most often too high, occasionally low enough to make me feel odd but rarely within the target range. And all the time, the weight piled on. Hence the low carbing and the minor exercise which led to my cruciate ligament deciding not to work for me any more. I was put back on the Metformin, but never taken off the insulin.

I don't know if it's too late after all these years, but I have to try something.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do admire your calm practical approach in the face of such difficulties. You can only do your best and I believe that's all that's necessary. Perhaps concentrate on being as well as you can while you care for your husband. Keep us in the loop.

Reactions: 4 people