Cannot cut off carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WithoutSugar

Hello!

Unfortunately I find it extremely hard to cut off carbs.

For example, I love pizza and the fact that I would still be able to eat the toppings, while on low carb, was something alleviating, however now I crave the pizza base and cannot eat only the toppings.

I really want some chips with my meat, I got bored of eating meat with salad.

I also really want something sweet every day, either a cake-like or chocolate-like sweet.

If I eat only once per day and try to fast for 2-3 days every week, will I still be able to rip the benefits of ketosis/autophagy/hypoinsulinaemia?

thanks!

Reactions: kokhongw

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
It's always going to be your choice; what do you value the most - your health, or a high carb diet that makes you ill?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I love pizza too and walnut icecream and McDonalds milkshake and a lot of other stuff But I dont want to have my feet amputated or grow blind or die before my daugther grows up and I dont want to live in pain and disease all over my body the last 20 years of my life .

Thats about the choice I see I have to choose between and then I think the choice is easier

I think it is better to try to focus on what we can eat like rasberries with cream. And chicken with salats If we focus on what we would like to have been eating we are creating temptations to ourself all day long

So I think it´s pizza or amputation But there are other ways to make a pizza that taste almost as well as the ones we cant eat like cauliflower pizza

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

For example, I love pizza and the fact that I would still be able to eat the toppings, while on low carb, was something alleviating, however now I crave the pizza base and cannot eat only the toppings.

I also really want something sweet every day, either a cake-like or chocolate-like sweet.

If I eat only once per day and try to fast for 2-3 days every week, will I still be able to rip the benefits of ketosis/autophagy/hypoinsulinaemia?

thanks!

It is the amount of carbs that is poisoning you from the pizza White fluor is as bad as is sugar and even spiking almost as fast
So 100 grams of pizza which is like 1/6 of a pizza buttom is like the most most diabetics type 2 can eat of carbs on a whole day. So NO would be my answer to you

S

serenity648

Hello!

thanks!

I am going to stick my neck out here and ask you something - do you think this could have anything to do with your abusive parent and upbringing you mention elsewhere on this forum? I only ask because it sounds like a lack of self care and putting your needs and health as a high enough priority, with maybe a bit of self destructive behaviour too. Would you consider getting some health with issues which may be making it hard for you to manage without sweet things? sending some hugs too x

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To quote that wise sage Dr Phil - "choose the behaviour; choose the consequences". You can do anything you want to do - you're the only one in control of you. But please don't come back here in another year or two complaining about all the bad things that have happened to you because of your informed choices.

I'll admit, I have a real problem with people saying the words "I can't" when what they really mean is "I won't". At least be honest with yourself.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My experience is that YES, it will help. You will still get some of the benefits of ketosis etc.

But it will prevent us from getting to the next level...that is why I am stuck at HbA1c of 5.5%...fasting BG of 5.5 mmol.

The occasional pizza, rice dumplings, bryani rice, naan etc prevents full normalization of the insulin/glucose response.

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with all the above. It's about choice. Who doesn't like pizza? Cake? I had an aunt who suffered all the consequenceses of uncontrolled diabetes. Foot/ leg amputations, blind, bedridden, kidney dialysis etc. Pizza is not worth it in my life. It doesn't happen until it happens and then there's no turning back. I want no regrets.

Last edited:

Tina16008

Rose Elliot's low carb vegetarian cook book has a great pizza recipe using egg and cheese as a base is cheesy heaven. Lindt 90% is the lowest carb dark chocolate that I have found. All things are possible but I would never suggest fasting as it is difficult to sustain. Far better is to meet the low carb challenge head on and experiment with new foods and flavours. Try "sweet" spices

Tina16008

Sorry. I sent too soon. Try adding sweet spices such as fresh nutmeg to cauliflower and sour cream mash or whole milk porridge oats. Physalis is also a handy sweet substitute as unwrapping the outer dried petals is like unwrapping a sweet.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Hotpepper20000

It is hard. Change is difficult. And as long as your BG is not undercontrol you'll feel bad and over whelmed and it will make it more difficult to feel positive.
You have found this forum. That is a big thing. There are so many people here who can help.
There are many recipe ideas here that can help with food getting boring.
But at the end of the day it your choice.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Look up fathead pizza, it is almost better than the real thing and much more filling. There are substitutes and alternatives. There is sugar free candy if you must have candy. I agree with all the above, it is not a case of I can't, it is a case of I am choosing not to.

There is all the support you could ever want here on the forum but I do not think anyone will support self destructive behavior. We all understand the desire to eat carbs, we have all been there and fought that fight. Good luck to you, it is not easy but you really can do it.

S

serenity648

Hello!

thanks!
Just had a thought - you can have a pizza omelette. Make a two or three egg omelette, and put the toppings on that, then pop it under the grill and there you go : )))

Hotpepper20000

Just had a thought - you can have a pizza omelette. Make a two or three egg omelette, and put the toppings on that, then pop it under the grill and there you go : )))
Oh that's a easy idea. I haven't tried making flathead pizza or cauliflower crust.
I now know what's for lunch tomorrow. Thanks!

Reactions: Prem51 and mo53

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
If I eat only once per day and try to fast for 2-3 days every week,

Good morning @WithoutSugar well I am 72 and was diagnosed just over 3 months ago,yes I thought at the time is it worth giving up all the sugar and food that at my age ,at first I came to the decision no it wasn't and then I came across this fantastic Forum ,and the members here completely changed my decision to a big yes it is worth it,I just love life with or without Diabetes,yes after eating rubbish food for 60 plus years of course I to miss everything,but I would miss a hell of a lot of real things more,you can do it ,you know you can do it,everytime I shop at Tescos and walk past Custard doughnuts in their bright yellow bags,Bicuits,cakes,my wifes pastry,sweets,it is worth it,as for fasting 2/3 days it a big NO from me,with respect if you have the willpower to give up food for 2/3 days a week then you can certainly cut your carb intake,I know what I would find easier,go on my friend give it a go,you know it makes sense.

Reactions: hooha and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want cake, then eat low carb cake
same for pizza
same for truffles, desserts and muffins

They can be just as filling, just as delicious.

The recipes are all out there on the web, and (once you have bought the ingredients) they are usually a lot less phaff and hassle to make that 'the real thing'.

I have a book of about 60 low carb muffin recipes. Sweet, savory and everywhere in between. I use erythritol sweetener because it has no negative effects for my body. So if I wanted a MacDonalds McMuffin, I would go to the book, and follow the look-alike recipe. It isn't a McMuffin, of course, but it IS delicious, and I would get to eat it more quickly than if I got into the car and drove to the nearest MaccyDs.

I have two cakes planned. One is a Blood Orange cake, the other a coffee walnut cake.
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2017/01/glazed-blood-orange-rum-cake-low-carb.html
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/recipes/50976-coffee-walnut-cake-low-carb/
each around 5 g carbs per slice.

Both low carb. Both delicious. The difficulty is deciding which one to make first! Although since the coffee cake is for Mr B I should really do that one... They are a heck of a lot easier to make than ordinary cake. Just mix the ingredients and bake. No beating the flour and sugar together, no beating of egg whites. I could have one in the oven 10 mins from now, if I wanted, and then be eating it in under an hour.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
"I can't" should not be in your thoughts for anything in life.

I think that you could really get most help from seeing a counsellor on a one to one basis through your GP to help you get out of this mode of thinking. And it is your thinking, your brain, your thoughts. Its not your stomach saying its craving carbs its your control mechanism in your brain.

Your brain is tuned in to the "I can't" achieve this. i cant do this, I cant look after myself mode of thinking.

It really is your choice. Get horrible horrible living on your "free"
medication from Nhs and risk all the side effects that meds give and not worry about your heart, kidneys, cancer etc..

Or you "can" turn off those non achieving thoughts and get better overall health long term.

This isnt all about diabetes care. Think what could happen long term to your general health.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend with very serious health problems says that can't means don't want to
CAROL

Reactions: Prem51

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes carbs are highly addictive, no matter how dietitians/nutritionist denies and dismisses it. Acknowledging this is the first step towards recovery. That is also why everything in moderation seldom works to improve glucose control or weightloss. It takes surprisingly little carbs to re-ignite the addiction.

Many of us T2D are actually carboholics, but these cravings are significantly reduced when we embrace a carbs lite fats friendly diet. Dietary fats helps to break the vicious cycle. It is empowering and liberating. That is why I stick to roast pork belly and virgin coconut oil...easily available, and glucose friendly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.