Cannot cut off carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

serenity648

A friend with very serious health problems says that can't means don't want to
CAROL

with respect, sometimes Cant also means I want too - but I need some help, and may have a food related psychological issue, which means I need more support to learn how to make I Want into I Can. Its not always a straightforward will power problem. And being hard on someone struggling with issues can be counterproductive as guilt adds to how hard it is to overcome these cravings.

I hope that, like alcoholics and drug addicts, carbaholics are seen as entitled to compassion, not blanket condemnation as people who are not trying hard enough, and weak. Any addiction which over-rides self care is a serious health problem too. A serious, life endangering mental health problem, and needs the same respect and support as any other serious health issue, in my opinion.

Reactions: Prem51

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not meant as a condemnation I did suggest speaking to GP and a Counsellor and getting help...

I totally agree with addictions etc and people needing support. I have had friends and family under go probs. Support is in valuable.

I think you may have missed my advice to get help in my post.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
"I cant" can mean "I want to but need help to do so". I believe OP is doing that here, but we arent the people that can change her mindset. We have suggested here and other posts on delicious receipes and ideas...we have offered alternative thinking about food but this (to me) is beyond our capabilities to change attitude.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello!

Unfortunately I find it extremely hard to cut off carbs.

For example, I love pizza and the fact that I would still be able to eat the toppings, while on low carb, was something alleviating, however now I crave the pizza base and cannot eat only the toppings.

I really want some chips with my meat, I got bored of eating meat with salad.

I also really want something sweet every day, either a cake-like or chocolate-like sweet.

If I eat only once per day and try to fast for 2-3 days every week, will I still be able to rip the benefits of ketosis/autophagy/hypoinsulinaemia?

thanks!
Right.

Boil mixed veg and delete your pizza delivery number out of your phone, now.
Don't buy any pizza til your cravings have gone, if at all.

Veg you will use today, only. When I say that.
Today concentrate on those different vegtables cooked which have to be eaten or will go off.
Mix cheese, chicken, fish or seafood with the ones of your choice. Use butter, mayo, cream but keep away from over salting.
Buy from our list of low carb foods in the threads set up to help here. Search for 'food list'.
Forget pizza. It WILL kill you!

S

serenity648

Not meant as a condemnation I did suggest speaking to GP and a Counsellor and getting help...

I totally agree with addictions etc and people needing support. I have had friends and family under go probs. Support is in valuable.

I think you may have missed my advice to get help in my post.

I am not sure if you are replying to my previous post? If so, I was replying to Cartys post, not your excellent advice.

Maybe I need more coffee : )

Reactions: Freema

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am not sure if you are replying to my previous post? If so, I was replying to Cartys post, not your excellent advice.

Maybe I need more coffee : )

Me... havent had my 1 cuppa coffee fix yet!! Lol.. I mistakenly (sorry) thought it was generalised comment....

I do agree whole heartedly with you. Think I can just come over too direct sometimes and was sort of expecting a back lash to my comment.

Hands up!! I can be a numpty!!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
If you want cake, then eat low carb cake
same for pizza
same for truffles, desserts and muffins

They can be just as filling, just as delicious.

The recipes are all out there on the web, and (once you have bought the ingredients) they are usually a lot less phaff and hassle to make that 'the real thing'.

I have a book of about 60 low carb muffin recipes. Sweet, savory and everywhere in between. I use erythritol sweetener because it has no negative effects for my body. So if I wanted a MacDonalds McMuffin, I would go to the book, and follow the look-alike recipe. It isn't a McMuffin, of course, but it IS delicious, and I would get to eat it more quickly than if I got into the car and drove to the nearest MaccyDs.

I have two cakes planned. One is a Blood Orange cake, the other a coffee walnut cake.
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2017/01/glazed-blood-orange-rum-cake-low-carb.html
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/recipes/50976-coffee-walnut-cake-low-carb/
each around 5 g carbs per slice.

Both low carb. Both delicious. The difficulty is deciding which one to make first! Although since the coffee cake is for Mr B I should really do that one... They are a heck of a lot easier to make than ordinary cake. Just mix the ingredients and bake. No beating the flour and sugar together, no beating of egg whites. I could have one in the oven 10 mins from now, if I wanted, and then be eating it in under an hour.
Oh, I so have to try those recipes! (coffee and walnut cake is my favourite!)

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No one can change your mindset, no one can make you listen, I never took my diabetes seriously for a number of years, I could blame the fact that the support I have had from the NHS over the years has been largely useless, I could blame my wife for buying stuff that I can't eat (she has her own eating disorder), what it boils down to though is my own inability and stubbornness to do what I needed to do. I now have retinopathy and the reason I have is entirely of my own doing.

Is having pizza and cakes etc worth it, nope a high carb intake will undoubtedly lead to complications, make the effort find low carb meals that you like, ensure you eat a decent amount of good fats as well you won't go hungry and the cravings for something sweet will fade.

I wish I had listened to the benefits of a LCHF diet, and persevered with it 3 years ago when I 1st tried it, I probably wouldn't be sitting here now worrying about my eyesight.

headshot11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!

For example, I love pizza and the fact that I would still be able to eat the toppings, while on low carb, was something alleviating, however now I crave the pizza base and cannot eat only the toppings.

I also really want something sweet every day, either a cake-like or chocolate-like sweet.

If I eat only once per day and try to fast for 2-3 days every week, will I still be able to rip the benefits of ketosis/autophagy/hypoinsulinaemia?

thanks!
why not try pizza toppings on wholewheat chapati
just a thought

Reactions: Prem51 and Keesha

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As others have said, carbohydrates can be very addictive for some people (me included).

So cutting out all major sources of carbohydrate for a couple of weeks and eating a lot of protein and fat can help to reduce the cravings.

Some fasting may help as well, but it is not essential. Fasting then eating pizza is just a way to feel even worse. You would be far better off eating quite a lot of a low carbohydrate high fat diet to start with. Then your carbohydrate cravings will not be reinforced by raging hunger. Once you have kicked the carbohydrate cravings you can then focus on reducing your food intake and push for dietary ketosis.

I will say that solutions like "just eat the toppings off the pizza" are for me completely the wrong message.

If you are going to eat cheese, tomato and pepperoni, for example, why waste time and money buying it on a pizza then scraping it off? With the added temptation of seeing, touching and smelling the pizza! The pizza sauce usually has sugar in, by the way.

Just buy the ingredients for the topping and eat them before they have been messed about with. Far healthier and hopefully far less temptation.

You don't have to eat traditional salad - I struggle with chewing my way through a mound of lettuce - but if your main meal is for instance cheese wrapped in ham you can add in a few cherry tomatoes, perhaps a bit of red pepper or a spring onion and you are getting the benefits without having to face a plate of salad.

In my limited experience the best way to kick a carbohydrate addiction is to go cold turkey. Mmmm...perhaps with a bit of cold chicken?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@WithoutSugar I recently made the fathead crackers which were delicious! Maybe you could make the dough and use it for a pizza base. There is a recipe for fathead pizza. The website is ditchthecarbs.com.

Reactions: Keesha

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!

thanks!

Hi, well I answered a post about a week or so ago with the words 'I miss Pizza' and god I really do and so get where you are coming from. In fact it's been months since had one and I would have one every week and loved it and can still remember the taste :) I want one now as i'm writing this. Now not on the same lines but I''m going to tell you this anyway, It's been 3 months since I had a cigarette and I loved to spark up, after a meal or when I was out having a few (a good few) pints. I miss that too but I knew I just had to stop it as well, and no it's not been easy but unless you keep on trying then you'll never get the health benefits you are after.

My personal opinion on diabetes is that's it's been sent by the devil him self, It had to have been to deny us Pizza and chips and pasta and chocolate and crisps and cake and bread and all the rest of the stuff that we've enjoyed since we were knee high to a grass hopper. But you know there is nothing we can do about it other than change our lifestyle and meet this challenge, because if we don't then i'm sure you have read about the kind of things that will happen. I now think about trying these things that I can eat and make them more interesting. It may take a while but i'm sure you'll get there in the end. personally with smoking and the pizza I did it cold turkey and just stopped without anything, no cutting down. Yes I still crave the odd ciggy but know that it will only take one and i'm back on them, same with the pizza just one measly piece and a full on 11 inch pepperoni is going straight down the neck so I really know where you are coming from

Good luck my friend, I think my reply has gone on a bit too long sorry

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
This is just an idea as I new to carb reducing diet but what about getting a lidl high protein roll, slice through smear either thin layer of passata or fresh cooked toms then put your cheese on grill lightly add ham or bacon or both t

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is just an idea as I new to carb reducing diet but what about getting a lidl high protein roll, slice through smear either thin layer of passata or fresh cooked toms then put your cheese on grill lightly add ham or bacon or both t
I do that with the Lidl roll too. Passata, grated cheese pepperoni and anchovies on mine :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Chook

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Thinking about it more you could grill the one side of roll turn over then put your toms, cheese any meat & veg then grill, this would make it crispy, i know not pizza but with a little imagination could be ok.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I make a Bolognese sauce and top it with loads of cheese, mozzarella and bake in the oven when my other half has pasta with it.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I make a Bolognese sauce and top it with loads of cheese, mozzarella and bake in the oven when my other half has pasta with it.
It was just a thought as i was thinking about the pizza guy and thought about the french bread pizza's you can get so thought about it and hence my reply thought it sounds great going to have this tomorrow for tea.
We should start a thread on what recipes people can come up with based on the lidl protein roll.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I USED to make an apetizer where you take a cracker ( ditch the cracker now) and top it with a thin slice of pepperoni, brush on tomato sausage and top with cheese. Then bake until the cheese melts. This could be done without the cracker. I get it's not the same as pizza but it's better than nothing.

Or, line a dish with pepperoni, brush with sauce, add cheese and other favorite toppings, heat and eat with a spoon. As said above the crusty temptation won't be there and in the end, the flavors all in what's on the crust.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have made a lovely aubergine pizza tart. Cut aubergine in to slices, brush with oil and grill until cooked but still holding its shape. Line a tart dish with the cooked aubergine then layer on the toppings of your choice and cook.

I am another fan of the fat head pizza. It seems a gaff when you first make it but it gets easier every time. My non diabetic husband loves it.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema
Status
Not open for further replies.