Prediabetes Cannot seem to bring my blood glucose down no matter how hard I try

Hello,

I'm a 23 year old male with a BMI of 18.9 kg/m^2.

Please have a look at the table I made:
123.png

I had a terrible diet back in February 2019. My BMI was 25.5 kg/m^2. Realising that something was going wrong, I decided to take action and stopped consuming any type of refined sugar. I also cut down on white bread, white rice and saturated fats. (I consume these quite rarely, like once a month.) Moreover, I started travelling on foot (which took about an hour a day) and lost a considerable amount of weight. My diet has consisted of whole grains, vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits, poultry and occasional dairy (all in reasonable portions) since February. I have been drinking 1.5 litres of water a day. I saw an internist in November who only told me to keep doing what I had been doing but I'm worried about the complications of constantly having a high blood sugar level. Being much more experienced than I am, do you have any advice to me? Do you think there's anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
In order to get the right advice can you confirm whether you are a T1 or a T2 and what med's are you on.

In order to get the right advice can you confirm whether you are a T1 or a T2 and what med's are you on.

I haven't been diagnosed with either T1 or T2 (my blood glucose has never been over 125) and I'm not on any medication. I might have impaired fasting glucose or prediabetes (which might turn into T2) but I'm not sure.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I haven't been diagnosed with either T1 or T2 (my blood glucose has never been over 125) and I'm not on any medication. I might have impaired fasting glucose or prediabetes (which might turn into T2) but I'm not sure.

I don't know where you are but in the UK an A1c of 6.5% is generally regarded as the the threshold for a diagnosis of diabetes.

You are well below this level so what is worrying you?

Reactions: Jaylee

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It doesn't look to me that you're running high blood sugar levels at all, so am not sure why you think damage is happening.

It sounds like your removal of sugar from your diet has returned your weight and fitness to excellent levels and you should just keep doing what you're doing now. Well done on the healthy lifestyle and diet.

Reactions: 3512495

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It can't be easy following the eat grains not fat advice which is so prevalent these days - carbohydrate tends to make us feel hungry faster, and we need to eat a variety of fats for the health of our brain and nervous system, and to use as a fuel in place of carbs.
If you read up on the diets type twos use to control diabetes you might well be shocked - it goes against the advice of many HCPs, but we seem to be proving that Dr Atkins was right all along.....

Reactions: 3512495