Cant get below 9

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 weeks ago and no matter how hard i try i cant get below 9 in a reading i have tried absolutely everything extremely low carbs too, im at wits end. my meals nerly never spike me over 11 tho

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 weeks ago and no matter how hard i try i cant get below 9 in a reading i have tried absolutely everything extremely low carbs too, im at wits end. my meals nerly never spike me over 11 tho

Hi Mitch, can you tell us a typical days food and drink and we’ll try and find a few tweaks to improve your levels?

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mitch, can you tell us a typical days food and drink and we’ll try and find a few tweaks to improve your levels?

Morning: Piece of fruit

Lunch; Ham Sandwhich with seeded bead 1 round with salad,cucumber,red pepper and tomato

Dinner: Mashed Cauliflower with Chili Beef Mince

- Thats what i had yesterday!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What fruit and how much? How many carbs per slice of bread. Did you use a ready made chilli or did you make it from scratch?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fruit is most likely quite high carb, and the bread - and you are eating them in the morning when many people find that they are more insulin resistant.
Try eating something low carb to start the day - I often have leftovers from the fay before, meat, sausages, or use eggs to make an omelette with lft over veges, or have scrambled egg with cheese and finely sliced tomato on the top.
The contents of your sandwich looks OK - but bread is so high carb - few people can manage even half a slice and keep normal blood glucose levels. Maybe eat some ham or tuna with the salad.
I'd also take a look at the carbs in your chili beef mince - if it is a prepared and packaged concoction then it ought to have the carb content on the pack somewhere, though not all that obvious.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread was 17g carb - it was a bannana - and the chilli was pr packed but had 25g carbs :)

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can i Just asked I know 9 and 11 after meal is high but its not riduculously high is it? i mean i used to avrage18-23 so ive come along way from 4 weeks ago

Reactions: Serena51

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread was 17g carb - it was a bannana - and the chilli was pr packed but had 25g carbs :)

There's about 25 grams of carbs in a banana too, so you've had 67g in total from those three items.

It's still a low-carb diet (relatively speaking) but you might want to try to lowering it. As I recall, you had a high hba1c at diagnosis (like me), so you may need to go really low at first to give your pancreas a rest.

Reactions: Serena51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - banana - maybe 20 gm for a medium size, with the bread 37gm, plus chilli 62gm other bits and pieces might take it over 70gm.
On that amount of carbs the results are promising, but timing was important to me - still is.
I eat fruit after my evening meal, with cream and can cope with it better at that time.
I got down to normal levels eating 50 gm of carbs, but fewer in the morning and these days I am pushing for weight loss and a lower Hba1c so try not to exceed 40 gm of carb a day. I could eat more but I put on weight so easily.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can i Just asked I know 9 and 11 after meal is high but its not riduculously high is it? i mean i used to avrage18-23 so ive come along way from 4 weeks ago
After 4 weeks and down from those previously very high levels yes thats pretty good.
But bananas and bread aren't great things for you to be eating.. eggs and bacon and the sandwich filling without the bread would be far better.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's about 25 grams of carbs in a banana too, so you've had 67g in total from those three items.

It's still a low-carb diet (relatively speaking) but you might want to try to lowering it. As I recall, you had a high hba1c at diagnosis (like me), so you may need to go really low at first to give your pancreas a rest.

Thing is tho i had to have a banana cause the potassium as im down on my potassium levels

Reactions: LeftPeg

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
You have come a long way and made a very good start, well done! Still a way to go though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is tho i had to have a banana cause the potassium as im down on my potassium levels
You'd be better having a potassium supplement if you are deficient as it won't have the sugar that the banana does.
Lo -salt is half salt and half potassium I think.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a good vitamin and mineral supplement - or another source of potassium rather than something which is - for some people - their full day's carbs in one handy stick.
The most effective thing about low carb diet is there are so many option and alternatives rather than eating carbs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat, Fish, Eggs. Cream, butter, cheese.
Green veg if you like that kind of thing.
Pork scratchings for a snack and of course bacon.. food of the gods.

Reactions: fran57

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ummm....

If the spike after a meal is rarely less than 2 mmol, then blaming too many carbs is not necessarily correct, possibly your meter is knackered, and the reading of 9 is too high to begin with.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're doing well, but I agree with the others about bananas and bread. I would be horrified if I got your numbers now, but they were the numbers I was getting 4 or 5 weeks after diagnosis.

It does take a while to get your head around low carb but you will get there.

You would be better making your chilli from scratch. There is so much **** in processed foods and they do us no favours.

Eat, test before and after eating to see what foods you can tolerate and what you can't.

Reactions: LeftPeg