Can't talk can't type

bonerp

Hi
Couple of times my BGs have dropped and not sure whether its because on these occasions they dropped so very quickly but after shoveling food in, I can't see properly - central vision shot to pieces, I then cannot talk for an hour or so - feel like I've suffered a stroke(!) - you know like the adverts on TV slurred speach, I cannot type or even workout how to spell or pull a sentence together or read. Scary.

It happened about 2 yrs ago - when I first recall it, then once last year and now yesterday about 2.40pm.

After I come round, and an hour or so later I can get about, can communicate reasonably ok but then suffer a headache/verging on migraine from hell. Lasted at least until I went to bed. Pills had little effect but then they dont do much for migraines with me.

I feel fine again today. Any ideas?!? I think its on very rare occasions when BGs come down too quickly. I looked at test kit and when I felt bad BGs were 5 - now I know these devices are a few minutes behind actually happenings, but normally I am ok at 5 and dont go hypo until about 3-4.

Anyone else had this? Its quite savage and feels very scary as can't really explain to anyone whats happening - literally!

I'm at pump clinic next week so will mention it to the DSN

thanks

Paul

elainechi

next time it happens, GET HELp and a 999 call immediately. it may not be related but it could be a mini sroke (tia)! least you will get checked out at hospital. x

A

Anonymous

i have had this before when in a hypo.its all to do with the sugar in you brian,as this is the first place that suffers when in a low it does wierd thing once it took me about a hr but once it took all day to recover with slurred speece and my face dropping.hope this reasures you.

elainechi

actually go and see your gp tomorrow about it you may need to be referred to tia clinic and that usually is within 2 weeks. you cant put everything down to diabetes. good luck x

elainechi

no it doesn.t reassure me at all. slurred speech and facial droop. lasted an hour then less than 24 hrs. classic signs. please get checked out tomoorow!

A

Anonymous

how dare people.

type 1 since nov 75.think i know what has happened to me by now. :evil:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that was the correct advice.
We aren't doctors and even if we were we couldn't diagnose on the internet.
You're correct hypoglycaemia can mimic acute stroke or the symptoms of a transient ischemic attack http://www.ferne.org/Lectures/strokemimics0302.htm but at 5mmol, the OP was seemingly higher than the levels that should effect the brain . (maybe it's a simple as an inaccurate meter leading to to much insulin)
However, I can recall a person on a forum who had similar symptoms and was reluctant to go to the docs but she had had a TIA. Surely it is better to at least discuss this with a professional and not make assumptions.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have had hypos before that cause slurred speech, but not dropping face but then everyone is different.

Tracey167