Can't understand numbers

terrier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My numbers are high so when I start it may be 7.6 or8 so when I eat has it got to beon 8.5 after eating even though I started on 8

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want help @terrier, can you give us some more information about yourself? How long have you been diabetic? What was your last HbA1c? What's your diet like? Do you have any weight to lose?

terrier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you want help @terrier, can you give us some more information about yourself? How long have you been diabetic? What was your last HbA1c? What's your diet like? Do you have any weight to lose?
Thanks. I was 30 stone lost five. I was diagnosed in April 2015 my Hbac was 90 dropped to 59 I have egg in morning and I eat brown bread and brown pitta bread And drink water and tea and have salads tuna, salmon low fat cheeses etc. I have Quaker oats plain sachet of porridge. I have bacon all grilled now and then no fried except omelette now and then

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that all looks pretty good to me. I reckon the bread and perhaps the porridge could be causing your BGs to be a bit higher than they should be overall, but a gain of only around .5 after eating is good. Most of us would like to see BGs less than 7.8 all the time, so you're nearly there. Keep testing. I think your diet only needs a little tweaking and you'll be where you want to be. You could try eating more full fat natural products to see if that helps you to reduce your carb intake a little more. A drop from 90 to 59 is excellent, so you're doing the right things. :)

Can you exercise at all? That could help to bring the numbers down too.

Reactions: 3 people

terrier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well that all looks pretty good to me. I reckon the bread and perhaps the porridge could be causing your BGs to be a bit higher than they should be overall, but a gain of only around .5 after eating is good. Most of us would like to see BGs less than 7.8 all the time, so you're nearly there. Keep testing. I think your diet only needs a little tweaking and you'll be where you want to be. You could try eating more full fat natural products to see if that helps you to reduce your carb intake a little more. A drop from 90 to 59 is excellent, so you're doing the right things. :)

Can you exercise at all? That could help to bring the numbers down too.
Thankyou for taking time to answer it is of great help. I have a treadmill and doing so many minutes after eating and building on that. Can I ask you my meter numbers are all over and it's a second one I have bought. What I would like to know is I started on 8 tonight so has meal got to be under 8.5 even when I started on 8

terrier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have seen three different doctors my numbers are between 3 and 9 mmol through the day I've asked to go medication but won't put me on just diet and exercise as I'm obese. If my nmbers are say 6 does that mean two hours after got to be under 8.5mmol. And if I start on 8mmol does it still have to be under 8.5mmol.,

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
@terrier. Could you keep all your questions on one thread please. It's difficult trying to follow all of your posts. Thank you.

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I disagree, I think you're very good on a computer.

terrier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou Azure. I still can't get a answer to my question if number is 8mmol when start has it got to be under 8.5mmol to be okay or as long as not over 2mmols

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Perhaps this will help.
Target Levels
by Type
Before meals
(pre prandial)
2 hours after meals
(post prandial)
Non-diabetic
4.0 to 5.9 mmol/L under 7.8 mmol/L
Type 2 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L under 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L under 9 mmol/L
Children w/ type 1 diabetes 4 to 8 mmol/L

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
try bergen linseed and soya or better still do not eat bread

Reactions: 7 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou Azure. I still can't get a answer to my question if number is 8mmol when start has it got to be under 8.5mmol to be okay or as long as not over 2mmols

I have Type 1 diabetes, @terrier and I think you have Type 2, yes?

But I think for both types it's impossible to have perfect blood sugar numbers all the time, and you shouldnt let an odd high one worry you. I can't answer your specific question because I don't have experience of Thpe 2, but my suggestion would be that if you started off higher than normal, you could try eating a low carb meal as that wouldn't put your blood sugar up as much as a meal with carbs.

The other thing to say is that different foods affect people in different ways. You have to find a way of eating and foods that work for you. If you test 2 hours after meals you should get an idea of what foods you can eat without your blood sugar going too high. So with your question there about starting at 8, you could experiment with what works best for you in that situation eg try eating a very low carb meal and see how much it puts your blood sugar up.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have seen three different doctors my numbers are between 3 and 9 mmol through the day I've asked to go medication but won't put me on just diet and exercise as I'm obese. If my nmbers are say 6 does that mean two hours after got to be under 8.5mmol. And if I start on 8mmol does it still have to be under 8.5mmol.,
It's unusual for obesity to be the reason not to put someone on metformin, as this medication usually works well in people who are obese. At this stage it might be of help to you, and you could always come off it once your BG levels and weight are low enough.

In any case, it's still possible to lower BGs and weight without metformin, so you are on the right track. Well done with losing 5 stone!

terrier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes I'm on 8 when start meal so if I have a meal and it is over 8.5 does that mean meal no good or can it go up to 9.5

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it goes up by less than 2.0 than the meal itself is OK (if it only goes up by 0.5 then it's excellent) . You just need to keep working at low carbing to get your starting figure down. Considering where you started though, you are doing well, just keep at it.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The guidelines are usually to aim for a rise of no more than 2 at the 2 hour point so a rise of .5 is good.