Car hypo treatment

Sandra_W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders, Snakes, Exercise, Ignorant people, Non serious diabetics. Being told that "You can't eat that"
Lucozade works so much quicker than the glucose tablets. I have bottles stashed in my car for when driving.
But shouldn't keep drink bottles in car, especially during this hot weather,

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GlucoRX Gel has a shelf life over 2 years and is quick acting 15gm. Comes in a tube with tear off top then allowing you to slowly suck gel into mouth.

While I also carry Glucotabs, they need to be held in mouth to be quick acting, hence concerns over choking.

The key to quick action is that glucose is a very small molecule so does absorb directly into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes in mouth and throat. Anything that you eat or drink can end up in stomach being mixed with other Stuff and thus slow aBsorbtion. Particularly also subject to gastroparesis.

Reactions: AutisticMum

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use pouches of baby food, yoghurt fruit smoothies, as emergency hypo treatment in the door of the car, by my bed and for in between swimming sessions. I live in Norway, but assume similar things are available in the UK. They are 90 grams with about 14 grams of carbs. Easy to take, taste nice, and no daft straw issues. Bought some capri suns but every time I stick the straw in one I get a fountain and sticky puddle!
if you share your car, not sure there are many people who would want to be seen taking baby food..but I am past caring!

Reactions: MrsA2

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me the best thing that can be kept in a car long term to treat a hypo. My mum is also diabetic, doesn’t travel far really but this week on a way to an appointment she was stuck in traffic after a car accident for 1 1/2 hours her journey was only about 15 mins if that. She had 2 mars bars but she’d had them so long they’d gone off and couldn’t eat them. What can you suggest please.
Chocolate bar, biscuits, milk and that type of thing are not quick acting solutions to a hypo.
Quick acting solutions are jelly babies, fruit pastiles and drinks such as coke or lucozade. I buy a 3 kg pack of jelly babies from Amazon’s d keep the pack in a 2.5 litre sealing plastic bag I get from IKEA, the bags are called
Can anyone tell me the best thing that can be kept in a car long term to treat a hypo. My mum is also diabetic, doesn’t travel far really but this week on a way to an appointment she was stuck in traffic after a car accident for 1 1/2 hours her journey was only about 15 mins if that. She had 2 mars bars but she’d had them so long they’d gone off and couldn’t eat them. What can you suggest please.
Chocolate bars, biscuits and milk and those sort of things contain fat which will slow down the absorption of glucose and are therefore not recommended for treating a hypo. Glucose tablets, jelly babies and fruit pastiles as well as lucozade and cola drinks are recommended.
I find that once you’ve opened them, a packet of glucose table become as hard as anything, so I steer clear of them. I buy a 3 kg of jelly babies from Amazon and keep them in a 2.5 litre resealable bag that I got from IKEA. They’re called ISTAD and they do them in various size.
I put a good handful in one of the smaller sized bags and providing you seal the bag, they never dry out and go hard, making it much easier to eat 3 or 4 if my glucose drops. I can keep a bag in my jacket or pocket and always have them on hand. Each jelly baby is 4g of carbs so it’s easy to calculate how many carbs you’ve taken.
If you’re stuck in a traffic jam as your mother was and likely to be there a while then after taking quick acting carbs, it’s recommended to take slow acting carbs once you glucose levels get back to normal to help maintain them.

Maureenmdf

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long life orange juice/ quick acting dextrose gel drinks/ tablets or tubes/ ordinary lucazade. Doesn’t matter if fiz gone it’s the glucose you want. I always have dextrose/ orange juice and gel in a tube. All available from most chemists

KidDougi

Wine gums!! worst case they become a little chewy.

Never experienced a chocolate bar going off?? Probably coz they don’t last that long!!

AliK80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep jelly babies in my glove box, 4 of them can increase your blood sugars within 15 mins which if kept sealed until needed generally have a long expiration date.

Animalal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I keep a tube of Lift in the centre console and a bag of jelly babies in the glove compartment.
I also usually take a pack of Nature Valley oats and honey.

ALloyd-Coombs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep the small bottles of Lucozade in my car. There is always one in my glove compartment, and several more in the boot.
Even if they've passed their use-by date and are completely flat, they still have the ability to sort you out.

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t keep my hypo treatment in my car. I keep it in my bag so it is with me all the time.
Note that chocolate is not a suitable hypo treatment. You need fast acting carbs like jelly babies or lucozade. The fat in chocolate slows down the glucose absorption and prolongs a hypo.
That’s interesting. I have been T1 for 50+ years and never heard that about chocolate before , though I do admit advice has always been barley sugars or similar - or these days some particularly unhelpful advice like x g of carbs. Personally I have carried mini Mars Bars or Milky Ways for many years ( they may not taste nice if very old but still contain a kick of glucose) , so I think that slowing effect to which you refer must be quite modest.
Everywhere away from home however I always carry on my person , a small bag of sugar lumps. Over time they get worn and I replace them , but two sugar lumps ,ideally with a mouthful of water has a very quick effect. I do not know the science of absorbtion but can only say it starts to help faster than the time it takes to reach the stomach.
As a bag of sugar lumps they are not mistaken by others as sweets.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet biscuits are good bet

Gillk16

I always have a supply of fruit pastilles. Three bring the levels up quickly. For me, jelly babies and dextrose tablets simply do not work and also taste disgusting!!! Good luck finding something that works for you.

lieve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sugar tablets

Richardh4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies you would need 4 to treat a hypo (5g carbs in each)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes she does. As you have discovered she can have a hypo in that time and you need to test to ensure she recovers.
I have a small bag with all my diabetes kit - testing kit, insulin (i may plan to be out for 15 minutes but could get waylaid) and hypo treatment. I carry this with me all the time.

Do exactly the same. I leave the house my go to bag goes with me.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No they are not. Biscuits contain fat which slows down sugar absorption.
Sorted me out on quite a few occasions and they're longer lasting especially Nice biscuits with the sugar coating, I know glucose is faster but not by much

Nickyno2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Lucozade and Glucotabs in the car…the best thing that keeps and you don’t just want to snack on. (I also have sweets in the car but I guess you could be tempted to snack on these if not strict with yourself…)