Carb adjustments

Beausrus

I have been prescribed lantus and apidra as previous insulin did not improved numbers, will I need to adjust when eating extra carbs? To compensate, at the moment that has not been mentioned.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Extra carbs extra insulin.. Yep. However, are you carb counting? Have you got the right bolus ratio for your meals?

Beausrus

37 units of lantus at night, and apidra 8 breakfast 12 lunch and 16 dinner, then monitor with DN for adjustments once some numbers logged

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes you do as DD says, as your a type 2 best to ask your DN/DSN to advice on adjusting your doses.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My point of asking about carb counting and whether you do it....
you need to be carb counting and be able to work out your own bolus ratio's before adjusting doses yourself.
You need to test pre meals, post meals, getting up and going to bed to see your patterns of rises and falls in blood.
Your DSN will go through this with you but @jack412 has marvelous details to learn this information in your own time.
Your dsn should also get you on a dafne course as you are taking insulin and / or also you should see a dietitian.
Initially you cannot jump in yourself to do adjustments to insulin.

Beausrus

Yeah, they mentioned that, so was looking to get some understanding before it was introduced, I always like to be prepared

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your dsn should also get you on a dafne course as you are taking insulin and / or also you should see a dietitian.Initially you cannot jump in yourself to do adjustments to insulin.

Beasurus is a type 2, as you know the DAFNE course is just for type 1's only.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@jack412 has excellent details. They'l be given when he online I'm sure.

You seem to have been quite challenged from tablets to humulin to basal/bolus regime now.

I know this is my constant question. Are you carb counting?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know of some type 2's on insulin that have been on dafne courses instead of desmonds. which is why I stated dafne and / or dietitian.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So type 1 can adjust for carbs and type 2 not?

Well, basically that seems to be the set up within diabetes education for the majority. Type 1 yes, type 2 no.....

You are right, more and more type 2's are being put on insulin, but if they aren't being educated on carbcounting, healthy lifestyles, availability to meters and bloodstrips etc then it will keep rising unfortunately.

It is a dire situation and one that our governments aren't paying enough attention to.

Just my thoughts. Sorry for straying off topic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some T2s are actually undiagnosed LADA and that can be the real reason for a Basal/Bolus regime. I think anyone put onto Basal/Bolus should be taught to carb-count by the DN. I was by my DN at the very start. It took about 10 minutes and she gave me a useful leaflet showing various carb pictures and portion sizes for 10gm. So to the original OP I would suggest asking your DN for guidance on carb-counting; it's really easy and 1 Bolus shot to 10gm carbs is the usual start point and then the meter will guide you on how much to tweak the ratio. If you can get onto a course that may well help. BTW the aim is to keep the carbs down to avoid weight and sugar gain and match the insulin to that level.

Reactions: 2 people