Type 1 Carb counting

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been carb counting properly for a few months now . I have type 1. I needed to loose 10 kg I have lost 6 kg so far . I am very active
Age 60 but am struggling a bit with a lot of low blood sugars . Can anyone give me a bit of advice as struggling to loose the last 4 kg now .
Many thanks
Lindy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Congrats on the weight loss.
Age 60 but am struggling a bit with a lot of low blood sugars . Can anyone give me a bit of advice as struggling to loose the last 4 kg now .
Really hard to lose weight when you have to keep eating sugar to correct hypos. Have you considered adjusting your insulin to avoid the hypos? (If you've lost weight your insulin requirements may have gone down.)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Are you getting lows often?
Have you done a basal test recently?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
This. A weight loss of 6kg could definitely result in a basal reduction.... If you have too many hypos you risk losing hypo awareness (speaking from personal awareness). Though it can often be regained, it's better not to lose it in the first place.

Reactions: lorraine c

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi thank you for your reply yes I have hypos mostly mornings like now it was 2.3. But I still have awareness at the moment . I have reduced my long acting insulin now so will see if that helps . I do t understand what you mean by having a nasal test .
Thanks
Lorraine

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thank you for your reply yes I have hypos mostly mornings like now it was 2.3. But I still have awareness at the moment . I have reduced my long acting insulin now so will see if that helps . I do t understand what you mean by having a nasal test .
Thanks
Lorraine

Sorry basal test

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
This. A weight loss of 6kg could definitely result in a basal reduction.... If you have too many hypos you risk losing hypo awareness (speaking from personal awareness). Though it can often be regained, it's better not to lose it in the first place.

I have lost my hypo awareness. Currently using Libre and Miaomiao combo to alert me for lows. Also been running higher BGs (around the 8 mark) for the past 10 odd months.....still no hypo awareness.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well thank you for that info I use a libre sensor so test very often . I will try that have been diagnosed 20 years type 1 and never heard of basal testing . You never stop learning .
Many thanks

I only learned about basal testing after being on the DAFYDD course (Welsh DAFNE!) around 15 years ago! I have been T1D for 49 years. Never too old to learn hey :)

Reactions: kev-w

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sorry didn’t answer I seem to have it under control now I think I was doing too much and not eating enough daily I have. About 90 grams of carbs but was only having 50 .