Carb counting

Tezzat1

Hi all just starting to carb count with insulin I froze at the first thing tinned hamburgers lol weighed them and just panicked. Any help much appreciated with things like instant smash or rice, cornflakes, milk. I got given my ratio of 1,10 Witch I understood but videos online not a help.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll probably find the supermarket website quite useful for that calc.. ?

Although tinned hamburgers are a new one on me!

Reactions: Tezzat1

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type two my menu is probably far simpler, but I have a little notebook with the percentage carbs in the things I eat - so say onion, 4.6 percent. If I add 20 gm to my salad then that is just under 1gm (0.92gm to be precise)
It is just a matter of weighing the amount and multiplying, then dividing if it is a multiple serving recipe.
I have electronic scales so I can zero after adding a food, but I still use my sliderule for some calculations - 65years of use and never needed a new battery

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, most packets are good at telling you the total carbs, but supermarket websites or Google might help if you haven't got the packet.

I've got used to checking what is listed before serving anything. Often they say 'per item' or 'per serving' so eg it might have been listed on the tin as carbohydrates per burger. That is the easiest if so. Otherwise they list carbohydrates per 100g so I'd need to weigh out what I'm eating and calculate the carbs in my portion.

Be aware of serving suggestions - eg whether the carbs listed for things like pasta are for the pasta after it has been cooked (and taken on water) or the dry weight.

Many find apps like 'carbs and cals' useful, though I've never personally got on with that. Good luck!

Reactions: Tezzat1 and EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Most foods have the Total Carb content listed on the packaging. For things like mash, veg etc there are various websites etc that show pictures of typical foods and their carb content; one is Carbs & Cals (but ignore the Cals bit!). The 1:10 ratio means 1 unit of insulin to 10gm of carb. You will find this will need adjusting based on experience and will vary a bit depending on the time of day. I never weigh any foods as the packaging and pictures are enough.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, buy the carbs & cals book. Can't recommend it enough. It literally has thousands of meals weighed & carb counted. It has been my bible for years now. You'll get it on Amazon.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's also an app version which I find quite useful when I'm out and about.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi all just starting to carb count with insulin I froze at the first thing tinned hamburgers lol weighed them and just panicked. Any help much appreciated with things like instant smash or rice, cornflakes, milk. I got given my ratio of 1,10 Witch I understood but videos online not a help.

Get yourself a decent set of scales as well :)