1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb counting

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Tezzat1, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Tezzat1

Tezzat1 · Member

Hi all just starting to carb count with insulin I froze at the first thing tinned hamburgers lol weighed them and just panicked. Any help much appreciated with things like instant smash or rice, cornflakes, milk. I got given my ratio of 1,10 Witch I understood but videos online not a help.

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You'll probably find the supermarket website quite useful for that calc.. ?

Although tinned hamburgers are a new one on me!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

As a type two my menu is probably far simpler, but I have a little notebook with the percentage carbs in the things I eat - so say onion, 4.6 percent. If I add 20 gm to my salad then that is just under 1gm (0.92gm to be precise)
    It is just a matter of weighing the amount and multiplying, then dividing if it is a multiple serving recipe.
    I have electronic scales so I can zero after adding a food, but I still use my sliderule for some calculations - 65years of use and never needed a new battery

• Like Like x 1
  4. UK T1

UK T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, most packets are good at telling you the total carbs, but supermarket websites or Google might help if you haven't got the packet.

I've got used to checking what is listed before serving anything. Often they say 'per item' or 'per serving' so eg it might have been listed on the tin as carbohydrates per burger. That is the easiest if so. Otherwise they list carbohydrates per 100g so I'd need to weigh out what I'm eating and calculate the carbs in my portion.

Be aware of serving suggestions - eg whether the carbs listed for things like pasta are for the pasta after it has been cooked (and taken on water) or the dry weight.

Many find apps like 'carbs and cals' useful, though I've never personally got on with that. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Most foods have the Total Carb content listed on the packaging. For things like mash, veg etc there are various websites etc that show pictures of typical foods and their carb content; one is Carbs & Cals (but ignore the Cals bit!). The 1:10 ratio means 1 unit of insulin to 10gm of carb. You will find this will need adjusting based on experience and will vary a bit depending on the time of day. I never weigh any foods as the packaging and pictures are enough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soplewis12

Soplewis12 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, buy the carbs & cals book. Can't recommend it enough. It literally has thousands of meals weighed & carb counted. It has been my bible for years now. You'll get it on Amazon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. garyclark82

garyclark82 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There's also an app version which I find quite useful when I'm out and about.

• Like Like x 1
  8. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Get yourself a decent set of scales as well :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tezzat1

Tezzat1 · Member

Thanks for the comments I will get carbs and cals book gt the app too.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook