carb counting

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive been on a carb counting course today and she told me if im only eating salad and low carb veg like cabbage sprouts and so on ive no need to inject insulin before my meal i was shocked when she said this

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can't live on sprouts alone though :meh:

It is nice to have a carb free meal now and then and not have to worry about carb counting and injecting though

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi billybadger im not going to lol but im on a low carb diet due to wanting to lose some weight but i thought you have to inject insulin what ever you eat but she said not

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
basically that's right yeah............

the beauty of MDI insulin regimes.........

having some carb is good though, its a good source of fuel for the body..............:)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ive been on a carb counting course today and she told me if im only eating salad and low carb veg like cabbage sprouts and so on ive no need to inject insulin before my meal i was shocked when she said this
google TAG total available glucose
your % may vary but it seems to bolus all the carbs, about 50% of the protein and can bolus 10% fat, but most seem to let that ride..she might be counting in that 10 stuff, if it's 9 you don't count it..?
you also might spit the bolus with lc because the protein and fat can take longer to digest and may carry some carbs with them

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hi billybadger im not going to lol but im on a low carb diet due to wanting to lose some weight but i thought you have to inject insulin what ever you eat but she said not

It's trial & error when it comes to insulin dosing on a low-carb diet, just monitor your bg levels and act accordingly, some people can get away without injecting insulin for carb-free meals (especially those in their Honeymoon Period) as where other people still need to inject insulin, my guess is that you will still need to inject but in smaller quantities...........hopefully.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically your nurse is right. You only need to take your mealtime Bolus insulin if your meal contains notieable carbs. I don't usually have my Bolus for breakfast as the carb level is 30gm or less and not worth bothering. As usual your meter is the guide if you're not sure. Your Basal takes care of background liver output of glucose and the Bolus is merely used to match mealtime carbs.