Carb tolerance morning vs evening

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody,
I've been testing a lot over the past couple of months in a bid to get my morning BGs lower.
I have found that if I have the same meal for breakfast and dinner it has a huge difference in the BG post-prandial rise.
For example 3 x 50% meat sausages will cause a rise of 3.8 mmol in the morning but only 0.8 in the evening.
I have got similar results with other meals as well.
I know IR is supposed to be greater in the morning, it's just the scale of the difference that surprises me.

I was just wondering if anybody else has a similar experience?

In case you were wondering I have already switched to 97% pork sausages!:)

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody,
I've been testing a lot over the past couple of months in a bid to get my morning BGs lower.
I have found that if I have the same meal for breakfast and dinner it has a huge difference in the BG post-prandial rise.
For example 3 x 50% meat sausages will cause a rise of 3.8 mmol in the morning but only 0.8 in the evening.
I know IR is supposed to be greater in the morning, it's just the scale of the difference that surprises me.

It is very common to have varying insulin sensitivity, one reason could be due to dehydration overnight. I drink several glasses of water on the morning to rehydrate my body, also blood circulation will be much slower coming from a resting state.

M

Member496333

Completely normal in those with hyperinsulinemic resistance, since the liver is still secreting excessive glucose during the first part of the day under the action of cortisol (and other hormones). With hepatic resistance, the liver does not stop manufacturing glucose even in the presence of insulin. So you effectively have a double whammy of glucose from the food you're eating, and glucose that the liver is secreting just for fun. I call it the runaway train effect.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hello everybody,

Hi pete254,
It is fairly well accepted that at least non-diabetics deal better with Carbs (lower BG spikes) in the evening than in the morning. This was mentioned on one UK TV program in the series 'Trust me I'm a Doctor'. Though some of the things they have done are flawed, my own experience as a T2 Diabetic on a LCHF lifestyle matches their results. Thus I have always have a very Low or no Carb breakfast - not every day since I skip it and do an IF if my morning BG is too high .

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find the opposite. My evening readings are always slightly higher than my morning ones. We’re all different.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get a higher blood glucose rise in the morning than in the evening. Generally, anything I eat, except pure fat, makes my blood glucose rise in the morning. I have tried eating the same meal in the evening and then in the morning. A meal after which my blood glucose would fall in the evening would still make my blood glucose rise some in the morning.